Help Wisteria

jackal

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hopefully someone will be able to tell me if my 2 week old Wisteria is going to make it. The lower leaves are dieing off and the lower part of the plant seems void of any new growth. But the top part seem like there was new growth but all those very small leaves have turned black or clear.

About the tank, 29 galleon, Lighting is only a 20Watt Life-Glo T8 Hagen 6700K, Fish only two head and tail lights.

I am really very new to the planted tank ideal so the only other plant in the tank is a java fern and it is doing really well lots of new growth. Now I did replace the lighting just a few days ago as the old one died and I really don’t think it was for a planted tank. Also since the last water change I added plant food to water not really sure if that was the issue but I though it would be a good ideal as it’s a small tank (so did my mom lol). I added a really bad photo of the tank and plant. Please tell me what you see wrong and how I can fix it up.

Attachments

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore Jackal

Your Water Wisteria is currently in it's emmersed form (grown above water).

Over the next couple of months it should slowly lose all of it's leaves & new growth should start in the submerged for. I don't think you have anything to worry aobut just yet. It would probably prefer if you could double the amount of light that you currently have but that might not be possible for you.

You should pull that Java Fern up out of the gravel. If it remains buried as it is now, it will eventually die. Pull it up until the rhizome is above the gravel. The rhizome is the thick horizontal root that the leaves sprout up off. When the rhizome is buried, the plant will slowly die. Java Fern is usually attached to decorations or left free floating around the tank.

jackal

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ok didn't know that it could grow outside of the water. I guess the easy way to fix the java fern would be change a few things in the tank and mount it on them or around. I thought that java fern was really odd with the way its growing. Now about the light what would I be looking at for doubling that as there is a ton of things out there but I have no ideal on really whats a good place to start. Also its seems I failed to add that this tank also has an underground filter too its been there for a very long time maybe 9+ years now so I think that would be a bad ideal to remove at this point.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depending on the hood brand & design you might be able to find a two tube light fixture that will slot straight in there. For that just find out what the brand is & google that brands light fixtures. Other than that you would need to post pics of the inside of the hood so that Fishlore members can see what you need & make recommendations.

Under gravel filters (UGF) are a pain in the backside in planted tanks. Wether or not you should remove it really depends on how far you want to go with the plant side of the hobby. If you want to have plenty of plants & you want them planted in the substrate, then it would be a good idea to disconnect the UGF. You don't need to remove it, just disconnect it. You would need to install another filter & get it fulllly colonised with bacteria BEFORE disconnecting the UGF so that you didn't send the tank into a mini cycle.

Another tip is to remove your Wisteria from it's pot & gently remove the material around the roots. That material is called Growool. It has tiny fibres that are rather sharp & can cause bad irritation to your fishes gills if those fibres get caught in the gill area. The dry material is highly irritating to humans to, (just so you know). You can put the Wisteria back into the pot with some of the gravel substrate if you want it to remain in a pot or you can plant it directly into the substrate.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You also may want tp kick off the Wisteria as a floating plant. This will get it closer to the light. Once it gets going in the water you would be able to cut leaves off at the nodes and they will form roots also...along with a mature plant making babies.

Fish and babies love to hang out under a floating plant with long roots.

jackal

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
just wanted to give an update to my old thread
The Wisteria has changed just see the Pics. But is this the normal grow rate for it. Really seems slow but maybe I am just rushing things. Now there are some other changes like this blacking on the plants and on the fake ones too just look at the pic. Any Tips you may have for me at this point

Attachments

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It does seem a little slow. Do you have anything in the substrate to provide extra food? My wisteria goes crazy when I give it root tabs.
The low light levels might be causing some problems. It kind of looks like the wisteria is reaching up toward the light, rather than filling out.

jackal

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
as far substrate go its just gravel nothing more. when I remove the plants from the pot to me there didnt really look like roots to me just brown stems really odd. Well I guess I will have to replace the hood and the light as that 18watt T8 just cant cut it for that plant. any ideals on the black things growing of some of the leafs?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Looks like algae, possibly diatoms.
I'd get some sort of root tabs. They'll feed the plants for a long time, and wisteria seems to like getting nutrients through its roots.

snail_chen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
20Watt/29 gallon = 0.7 w/gallon. That is WAY TOO little for your wisteria. It is STARVING from light.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
20Watt/29 gallon = 0.7 w/gallon. That is WAY TOO little for your wisteria. It is STARVING from light.
Gonna have to disagree with you here. The wisteria I have pictured here started out as a tiny little stunted clipping. I had forgotten to dose the substrate with ferts, and the poor thing just kept on dying back, particularly since I didn't have any fish in the tank to fertilize things.

I added root tabs, and the little guy had reached the surface within a couple of weeks. It is now trying to get out the plastic hood of the tank.

This is a 10g tank with a cheap, extremely old mini-compact fluorescent. With the fact that this kind of bulb is less efficient than typical T12s, T8s, or T5s, and with the fact that the bulb is so old that it's probably producing less light at the wrong spectrum, I might as well be operating at .7wpg (or less).

Wisteria does fine in low light, as long as it has some decent fertilizer to work with.

Attachments

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Again I disagree with you Snail_chen. 0.7wpg is plenty for Water Wisteria. I've grown it very successfully in far less than that. Having a good, balanced supply of nutrients to the roots & the correct light spectrum is far more important than light intensity for this particular plant. I've even grown it with nothing more that ambient light from a 2 x 40w T8 that is 10-12ft away from the tank. The only real difference light intensity makes is to leaf form, nothing more. This plant is so low demand that it can almost grow in the dark. Possibly the least demanding of all aquarium plants.

jackal

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
From the short time I had the plant. I can see its really more of a weed like then anything else. Most of the LFS tell me the same thing grows with poor light really well and should be like a weed in time. The only thing I changed was added Seachem Flourish Excel to the tank and this really started major root grow like mad. But now that I see how root heavy this plant is I see some issues keeping it down and not floating around in the tank. Still have yet to get the root tabs but will try this weekend and get some more pics of the plant.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom