Wish me luck...please

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by haedra, Mar 29, 2010.

1. haedra

haedra Well Known Member Member

I am taking the plunge again, and trying to grow something green that isn't algae. I have a long family history of killing plants, so I am saying a little prayer that I can keep this one alive.

I picked up some Anacharis for Merlot's tank for now. The tank lighting isn't the best, but I'm banking on the natural daylight in the room supplementing that. His tank happens to be in an area that has the capability of receiving alot of natural daylight, if I allow it to. I also picked up some plant food, though I am forgetting at the moment which one that was.

And I thought I'd add, just because I found it amusing...It wasn't an hour later when I already discovered a pond snail zooming around. Now, I generally don't mind the snails at all, as I feed all my fish lightly and the snails population (I've got ramshorns in the 20g) is low enough for me not to bother trying to get rid of them. I also find them interesting. So actually, I was rather happy that I saw this one. But unfortunately...Merlot decided it looked tasty, so every time this poor snail tried to make it up the glass, Merlot promptly ate it..and then spit it out. This happened multiple times until he creeped away on the bottom. So I doubt this little snail will survive the abuse!

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I certainly wish you lots of luck. :)

It might be an idea to to minimise the amount of natural light entering the tank. That will give you algae faster than anything else & that could choke out your plant. Elodea doesn't need a whole lot of light to get growing so if this is in your 10gal with the 15w light, you might not need to supplement with daylight at all.

Either way, good luck & if you need any help don't hesitate to ask. :)

3. OP
    OP
    haedra

Thanks for the input!

I'm pretty sure this is the bulb I have:  

Merlot is in a 3g tank by himself, and this is his lighting. This is a fast growing plant...correct? If it is, maybe I didn't completely imagine some growth overnight. ;) It looks a little longer to me in places. I would normally take this as a good sign, but honestly the last time I tried a hornwort in my larger tank it grew like mad...until one day it decided to shed all its needles all over my tank. At least if I managed to kill this one it won't make such a mess!

Worth of note maybe is that the light is also not as direct, just because the tank itself is one of those large kritter keeper type things with the plastic lid (which is like a grid I guess), and the bulb is in my old minibow hood; and that is placed overtop.

Do you think I still have a chance of it surviving with this standard fluorescent and its associated spectrum of light? Barring of course, my plant-killing DNA and death rays that must come out of my eyes every time I look at a plant of any sort.

4. Nutter

That light should be a suitable type as it is a full spectrum light. I don't know if 10w will be intense enough or not but given the tank size I think it should be ok. If you think the lighting isn't good enough perhaps you can remove the lid & replace it with piece of clear perspex or glass? One of my kids first tanks was the same thing with the little hatch in the top for access & I just replaced the coloured plastic lid with a piece of perspex. I glued plastic hinges to the perspex & the tank to keep it in place & give good access.

Yes Elodea is a very fast growing plant so it is possible for it to grow a little overnight. Hornwart is a horrible plant with it's tendency to shed. It looks nice but I hate the stuff.

5. Nate McFin

Nate McFin Well Known Member Member

Best of luck Haedra!
    Hopefully this works out. Keep us posted.
    -Nate

6. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

You should do ok... don't expect fast plant growth but Anarcharis is a strong plant and low light capable too

7. OP
    OP
    haedra

Ok, so either my anti-plant genetics are kicking in and starting to eat away at my plant, or something else is going on.

Let me start out by saying that I did get this plant from Petsmart, because it is the only place within reasonable driving distance that has any live plants; but they never look very healthy. So basically anything green I get from there I need to pamper.

However, while it is growing fast, some of the leaves are starting to die, while others look quite bright green and healthy. Now, the leaves that are starting to turn are near the surface (but still submerged), and the healthy ones are more mid water, and as a result the healthy ones are getting less light than those at the surface; could it be that the unhealthy parts are getting too much light?

For now I'm going to experiment, and keep the hood lighting off for most of the day, because the area the tank is in has so much potential for natural lighting, though not direct. What do you think?

I really don't want to kill this thing, because Merlot really seems to absolutely love playing in it. He was happy before, but now he's like a kid in a candy store. Because it's floating, there's all sorts of places he can "jump" over the strands, and it's almost like he's playing hide and go seek with me at times.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  8. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

If you have dying leaves cut them so the plant can put more energy into the rest of the plant (this will also help the water quality). This will also help more light get to the healthier leaves.

Good Luck!

9. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

What ilikefish said, just trim the dieing parts off. Good luck (that plant will grow with just the smallest amt of light. Even @ 1wpg.

10. Nutter

Seeing as this is something that is effecting the top of the plants rather than lower down I think there is something else going on other than the lighting.

Are you using any fertilisers? Are the leaves turning brown/yellow at the tips before they die or turning translucent before rotting away?

11. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

Could just be that part of the plant was unhealthy (as you said--it was a petsmart plant...) I've had that happen with a couple plants I got from them. The older parts die off and then it regrows from the base.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice