Wish Me Luck! Betta Breeding

1. luckdown

luckdown Well Known Member Member

Just checked on my betta pair and they have a few eggs. This will be their 4th attempt. None of the eggs from the other attempts were fertilized sadly.

Hopefully there will be more eggs but the female doesn't seem too interested in him now. I think he missed the window this time.

He's blind so he was a bit oblivious to her trying to mate with him all yesterday and most of this morning.

I'm surprised there's even eggs cuz he got fed up with her rubbing on him and destroyed his nest and remade it on the other side not that long ago.

I got them young but I think they're too old now. This pair has been together for a bit over 2 months now and adore each other so I'm probably gonna keep them together as long as possible. (They show no signs of agression towards each other ever and actually have a very cute relationship. She's adapted to him being blind and completely changed how she interacts with him, leading or nudging him back to his side of the tank when she's annoyed with him instead of flaring.)

It's really a shame none of their previous eggs were fertilized. We're thinking it could be partially due to him being blind.

And my other pair was just put back together he has a huge bubble nest and is trying to get her under it but she's not interested yet (has very strong breeding stripes though so I'm hoping tomorrow there will be eggs) this will also be their 4th attempt with the last time resulting in no eggs and she was removed after a week. The first two attempts the eggs again sadly weren't fertilized.

I don't have much luck with them fertilizing their eggs lol but outside of that I couldn't ask for better pairs. They're extremely peaceful with each other.

The second pair I wouldn't trust to stay with each other long term though, I always take her out once they're done spawning. They only stay together for a week at most with no divider. Typically it's more like 3 days.

I can't really figure out why they're having such a hard time fertilizing their eggs though. I read it could be due to inexperience but I would assume they should of figured it out by now.

Super frustrating.

And no these aren't pet store bettas. They were imported from Thailand and were 5 months old when I got them, they're about 9 months old now.

And yes I'm setup for the fry should they happen (even have homes lined up for all of the ones I don't keep)

Not that I've managed to get any fry thus far lol

2. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Have you provided the needed weeks of feeding to increase the amount of eggs? Sometimes longer finned bettas can have their anal fin get in the way of fertilization.

3. OP
    OP
    luckdown

Yup i am doing that. With the pair that stays together it might not be long enough between breedings because they're doing things on their time (they breed every 2 and a half weeksish). But I make sure they eat good and the female is fed throughout all of it even though the male will stop eating. And the other pair has more downtime since they stay separated after breedings. So they're definitely okay.

I'm also really careful about making sure there's no poop or leftover food laying there without disturbing them too much.

And lights are on the tanks 24/7 once I notice the first of the eggs

So far it's been they lay well over a hundred eggs then after a day and a half there's only 50 left. Then it goes down to about 20 the next day. I've had eggs in there for a bit over 4 days and nothing. From what I read and what I can see it's due to not being fertlized and not the males just eating their eggs. The blind male gives his eggs the longest chance.

The pair that stays together are plakats but the other male has really long fins and they're both Dumbos.

I probably am doing something wrong though.

I mean the first time the blind male bred he didn't pick up most of the eggs. But the second time he caught on. The 3rd time looked soooo promising with about 50 eggs on the last day. But they just never hatched.

4. Mcasella

He may be unable to wrap properly or the female may be producing eggs that are unable to be fertilized, failing three times points to something, i would artificially try to hatch the eggs away from the parents to see if they are getting eaten.

5. OP
    OP
    luckdown

Okay :0 how do you do that? I know nothing about that.

Yeah once or twice I understand but :I

The female wants to breed more but he's already set on protecting the 15 or so eggs he has and told her to go away.

This would probably be a good batch to take away from him and try myself. Not much room for error but :p

6. Mcasella

Take the whole nest and place it in a container (if they fall or the nest falls apart a small bubbler will help keep them clean from fungus until they hatch, which should only be a couple days).

7. OP
    OP
    luckdown

Okay! Thank you. I'll go setup something to do this. Should I also treat with fungus meds to try and help? Didn't read much on this yet but the few things I read said to do that. And I want to make sure if I should or not.

Thank you so much for your advice and helping with this. Inexperience does not help when things don't go right ;o;

I know I probably shouldn't be breeding my blind male and that is possibly part of the problem. But I was actually extremely picky about these pairs and he's just a perfect fit for what I want to do outside of him being blind. I also know them staying together isn't suggested but I've read success stories and how to best go about it and so far they're a success (I removed them once and both actually got extremely depressed which is why they now stay together) and am more than prepared to separate if need be.

I wish I had more experience to help these pairs work. Research sadly only gets you so far. I guess on the plus side my only issue is with the eggs and not my fish being in danger (I'm only going to breed pairs that show little to no agression towards one another and that aspect has been a huge success with these guys)

8. Mcasella

Not fungus meds, you can do methylene blue though.

Do you have foods for them to eat once they have hatched? (well 24 hrs once they start trying to swim). They need a very small live food source to engage them in food.

9. OP
    OP
    luckdown

Ahh okay.

Yes I do! I have a container which should have infusoria, vinegar eels, and two kinds of microworms right now and will be getting the bigger cultures the day I have a successful hatch (still trying to determine the best ones to get that I can successfully do) I know that's a bit late to start a culture of larger food but with all this failure I was bad and keep putting it off cuz I'm doubting I'll be able to get fry. Plus what I read about brine shrimp is you hatch them as needed when you need them so I also just assumed I'd be alright.

10. Mcasella

Yup they can live off what you currently have and it is best to hatch brine shrimp when you need them otherwise they aren't as nutritious or small enough for the fish that are trying to eat them.

11. OP
    OP
    luckdown

Yeah that's what I read. And the other thing I was thinking of doing was grindal worms, I could possibly do something else but a lot of the other stuff looked too hard and I'm a bit intimidated by it.

I'm very pro having a large variety of food available for everyone. Ideally I would love to have cultures of as much as possible but I'm new to cultures and want to start with the easiest stuff

If you have suggestions for other things that would be beneficial to them I'd love to hear.

12. Mcasella

Make sure you have at least a 20 long to grow them out in, i know 15 eggs isn't a bunch but space is important for them to reach growth markers over three months of time once they hatch.
    Water changes are your best friend.
    Microworms with the first week or two then adding baby brine shrimp into the mix, at 6-8 weeks you can start weaning them onto flake or dry foods.

13. OP
    OP
    luckdown

Okay thank you!

I've managed to get almost all the eggs and there was a fair few floating around not in the bubble nest that I didn't notice before. Unfortunately almost all the eggs have either fallen to the bottom of the container or are outside of the nest. I face about 3 inches of water in there and I put the bubbles at the lowest setting with full circulation

Do I need to somehow get the eggs off the bottom? I know they're not supposed to be on the bottom normally but is it different with an artificial setup?

Now that the eggs are gone the female is all over the male again trying to get him to breed

14. Mcasella

The flow from the bubbler should keep them aerated enough to keep them alive.

15. OP
    OP
    luckdown

Okay! They all do move slightly with the current from it. It does look like it should work but I definitely don't know what I'm doing here.

Fortunately there's more than 15 eggs so hopefully something makes it. I don't have high hopes though xP

16. OP
    OP
    luckdown

Ahhhh!!!! They have little black dots now! That's a sign of them being fertlized correct? I've never seen the eggs change from white before!!

My other pair has some eggs now too! Leaving the female in until the morning just in case theyre gonna spawn more then taking her out and spoiling her with special treats.

Not sure if I should take their eggs away as well or let him try by himself since this is only his 3rd time with eggs.

Plus you know I still dunno if I'm actually doing any better with them being taken away yet lmao