Wish I would have taken a picture...Purple Goldfish?

1. Crissandra331 Member Member

2. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

It happens. I don't really know much about it but I seen it lol. Goldfishnet had this crazy looking ranchu. He had a chocolate body but he scales were matte and a very medium brown like a mocha latte kind of. And his wen was actually lavender. He was sold for like $300 I think.

Check out the lavender ranchu on the bottom of this link. I would love him in my tank. There are some crazy calicos on this site too. Drool.

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/auction/gallery.php?pageNum_rsGallery=716

I saw a photo of a show quality ryukin on GFK whose markings were so bright, well-defined and specifically placed that it looks like someone had painted him to look like Ronald McDonald. It was actually kind of...uncomfortable. I don't like clowns lol.

3. fishingdeep Member Member

A color enhancer will bring out great colors from the fish, but if you don't feed them the same it will go away ....

4. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Aren't color enhancers primarily beta carotene to draw vibrant reds/oranges? I'm pretty sure the color enhancer in my NLS pellets are "staining" my oranda a bit. Are there other pigments in there? Obviously some it's genetics but what draws out the cooler tones, if anything? I know both brown and lavender both have reds in them but I would think that it might eventually tip the scale in favor of the red tones.

5. fishingdeep Member Member

They may be depending on what you are looking at. Enhaners can only build on the genetic makeup but it will change a color to "purple " and then the result may have to deal with reproduction of your fish. This has been used for years and causes a lot of lost money for them who buy them.

6. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

i could believe they are naturally purple ive seen a purple feeder before. ive also seen pure sky blue gold fish before it wouldnt suprize me a bit.

7. fishingdeep Member Member

@ lollipopkiller I have seen them too. My point is that enhancers bring out a color of any fish that has a genetic disposition to magnify it. They will lose the color if you don't keep feeding them the same stuff. Have you ever bought a fish that changed color a few weeks into it? Thanks for the post !

8. Crissandra331 Member Member

Some Goldfish are super adorable! after looking at that link @poeticinjustice posted I totally kind of want one. I will have a free 30 gal soon, but would that be pushing it? I'll just admire the ones all of you have on here :)

9. fishingdeep Member Member

@ poeticinjustices you raised a good question about enhancers. It really depends on what color you are trying to derive at. There are 3 main enhancers that are used, but yes beta carotene is probably the best known for reds/oranges. I don't know what you mean by " NLS pellets". Can you please share a link so I know what food you are speaking about?

10. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

http://www.nlspectrum.co.uk/product_freshwater.php?p=freshwater

NLS is just New Life Spectrum, it's a fairly commonly used food brand. They make all kinds, I've used both the 3mm Goldfish pellets and am currently using the 1mm Thera A pellets. Both claim to have color enhancers. Granted, I haven't investigated into the pigment enhancer ingredients as it isn't really a priority for me, I figure I will feed them well and they'll become what they become, but I am curious to know about it.

11. fishingdeep Member Member

Can you start a " fish food" link ? LOL :) Just saying this should not appear in the " beginners link " but that is only my humble opinion

12. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

This is is the Goldfish forum, where it belongs given the original post.
    It kind of went off topic from there.

13. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Sorry we went sort of off topic :(

Goldfish are fantastic fish, especially if you know what you're getting yourself into. According to the stocking rule, 30g would fit a pair of fancy goldfish. Depending on the fish, you might find it a little tight eventually, the bigger the tank the more wiggle room you'll have, you know? Like putting 2 fish in a 30g is not quite the same as 5 fish in a 60g, even though both are in accordance with the stocking rule :)

My philosophy, for what little time I've been doing this, is that with goldfish, you should just always be open to the possibility of needing an upgrade. Sometimes they just surprise you :) BUT, I'm loving all the goldfish love around here lately, so I say...get you a goldie :p