wintering fish help needed Question

Discussion in 'Pond Fish' started by trailblazer295, Mar 19, 2010.

1. t

trailblazer295 Well Known Member Member

Hey everyone

This will be my 4th year with a pond, so far I haven't wintered my feeder fish residents instead give them away in the fall. The pond is about 12' L 6' W and max 2' deep. Previous house owners laid concrete on chain link fence so I am working with the shape I have. I am in the process of rebuilding my waterfall and am instead building a mini rapid style design. I also raised the far side to balance out the water (previous house owners didn't have a clue how to build a pond, not one side or edge is the same) Would it be possible living in the toronto area to keep goldfish over winter in a pond this shallow? If not how would I winter them indoors? I won't have a large tank or indoor pond but water doesn't freeze in the back of my garage. Just to give you an idea what it looks like.

424.jpg

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I cant advise on the shallow/deepness etc of the pond but I can tell you when/if I get my pond up and going, ill be going to walmart or some other comparable store, to get those big huge plastic rubber made tubs that you put toys/clothes etc in .....using them, with your current filter, which can hang on the side, will be fine if you feel it wont work outside....hope others will have advice about the depth of the pond!

3. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Find some local pond owners and see what they do. I live in Maryland and winter over...but you!!..You are way north of us and probably get LONG freezing spells. Someone in your area must have a garden pond, they are very popular.

4. gremlin

gremlin Well Known Member Member

Does your pond currently freeze solid?

5. OP
    OP
    t

trailblazer295 Well Known Member Member

Not to the bottom as far I know but we didn't have a great winter. After looking at the likely hood of my pond be able to winter fish a friend will be taking my 3 top fish for there pond in the fall. Thanks for the help

6. gremlin

gremlin Well Known Member Member

As long as the pond does not freeze solid and there is some place that can be kept open to the air, you should be able to keep goldfish in the pond year round.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice