Winter Flowers.

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thought I'd share these to see who else is getting some nice color to last through the winter.
067ad5b62f9d4bf7f3e119a7a2403dff.jpg
cyclamens for my baskets. I'll put them in tomorrow.

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Beautiful!

I have seen cyclamen in garden catalogs... always thought it looked beautiful.

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Do you do winter flowers mark? When is your time to get them if so ? To me the dark green plastic looking leaves just mean it's time for Halloween, bonfire night and Christmas, they give me a real christmassy feeling. Oh and they remind me it's time to wrap the palm tree up.

Discusluv

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have some cyclamen in my yard, but the leaves just started growing within the last month so not very big yet.
In fall I will usually plant some violas--- I love the really small faced ones they call "Johnny Jump Ups" .

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Just googled them Discusluv very cute, that was the real reason for this thread, to see other winter specimens sugested by others lol.

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
grantm91 said:
Do you do winter flowers mark? When is your time to get them if so ? To me the dark green plastic looking leaves just mean it's time for Halloween, bonfire night and Christmas, they give me a real christmassy feeling. Oh and they remind me it's time to wrap the palm tree up.
I'm not sure what you mean by winter flowers, Grant, but this time of year isn't the end of my plant-love. I recently planted more bulbs -- daffodils, some crocus, "Glory of the Snow" and so on. Every year I add more to the yard. They'll sleep all winter and come to life in the early spring just about the time you think you're going to go nuts from the long winter. Some years I will grow some of those bulbs -- paper-whites -- indoors and enjoy them when they bloom.

Indoors we have "Christmas Cactus" and those bloom during the winter. The company Logees is an excellent source for exotic houseplants! I never though of cyclamen indoors, but I LIKE that idea! I need to look into that...

We had 35 degrees F. this morning --- high-time to move the deck plants indoors! We have a lot of elephant-ears and angel-trumpets and cannas growing in big tubs on our back deck. Our palm tree gave up the ghost... As did our banana plants, but I managed to save a little sprout from that one.

What's bonfire night?

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Christmas Cactus -- though not ours, this one is from Google.

Discusluv

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep, I plant in fall and, in my climate, they will bloom all the way until it begins to hit around 85 degrees in early summer (Beginning of June). About 6-7 months!

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cold hardy banana plant -- courtesy of Google. We have neighbors who grow them successfully outdoors and they will grow taller than one storey. The key is lots of water & Miracle-Gro and mulch VERY heavily for the winter. They constantly send off side shoots, but I have bad luck transplanting them... too ham-handed at digging them off, I suppose. I've had good luck with them in big tubs then I just move them inside for the winter.

Oops! Looks like the image didn't copy correctly. Well, you can Google them. Sorry!

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Wow @ohiomark, I now have some googling to do haha, you have a lot of flowers and plants and are very knowledgeable in that department, as are you Discusluv, I've only gotten into plants over the past 3 years, nothing serious like the fish hobby, the winter cactus is a winner I love it, I think I need one in my life. Bonfire night is a British holiday, it's the night guy falks tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament in 1605 but was foiled, I wish he would come back and succeeded this time LOL. To average joe like me it means setting a fire and letting off fire works.

Discusluv

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
grantm91 said:
guy falks tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament in 1605 but was foiled
Haha! Guy Falke--- the Gunpowder Plot, correct?

Discusluv

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Discusluv said:
Haha! Guy Falke--- the Gunpowder Plot, correct?
I wish we had a similar holiday-- a symbolic display of dissatisfaction with our entirely ineffectual congress/senate. It would be so satisfying...

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes Discusluv that is the one, I know it's not a world wide thing but I always feel as if it is, it's widely celebrated here, you can smell fireworks nationwide lol.

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
grantm91 said:
Wow @ohiomark, I now have some googling to do haha, you have a lot of flowers and plants and are very knowledgeable in that department, as are you Discusluv, I've only gotten into plants over the past 3 years, nothing serious like the fish hobby, the winter cactus is a winner I love it, I think I need one in my life. Bonfire night is a British holiday, it's the night guy falks tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament in 1605 but was foiled, I wish he would come back and succeeded this time LOL. To average joe like me it means setting a fire and letting off fire works.
Okay... Now I have some Googling to do! A 1605 blow-up parliament attempt? This sounds interesting... I could go for the fire! I love relaxing around a fire in the evening. When is it? I am definitely going to do some reading on this...

You definitely need a Christmas Cactus in your life, Grant. And they come in different colors, too. (This is kind of payback for encouraging MTS! Ha ha!) Check out www.logees.com for awesome indoor plants. I'm guessing shipping to the UK would be ridiculous, but at least it gives you an idea of some of the amazing houseplants available.

Discusluv

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ohio Mark said:
Okay... Now I have some Googling to do! A 1605 blow-up parliament attempt? This sounds interesting... I could go for the fire! I love relaxing around a fire in the evening. When is it? I am definitely going to do some reading on this...

You definitely need a Christmas Cactus in your life, Grant. And they come in different colors, too. (This is kind of payback for encouraging MTS! Ha ha!) Check out www.logees.com for awesome indoor plants. I'm guessing shipping to the UK would be ridiculous, but at least it gives you an idea of some of the amazing houseplants available.
Gunpowder Plot - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The Gunpowder Plot and all that is a very interesting read. I came upon that a few years ago myself, though I first read about it in a historical fiction novel. Anyhow, I came upon this thread and wanted to mention crocus too! Like Ohio Mark said, it won't actually flower in the winter, but will sleep like the other bulbs he mentioned. Does it snow where you are Grant? Oh my goodness, there is nothing prettier than a crocus blooming up through a layer of snow, letting you know Spring is near. I would looove to have a bulb garden again. At my old place in NC I had a little front garden with only Crocus, Daffodils, Tulips and Lilies. I LOVE bulb flowers, and though they aren't winter flowers, they were the ones I thought about all winter when I lives up north. They showed themselves in that order every year too, with the crocus popping up in late winter and the lilies blooming well into late summer. Sorry, wish I could actually answer your question Grant, but I don't know of any winter flowers. I still think you and the gf would enjoy a little bulb garden if you can grow them. My hubs spends $$$ trying to buy stems of these very flowers for me about once a year, he knows how I love them.

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
stella1979 said:
The Gunpowder Plot and all that is a very interesting read. I came upon that a few years ago myself, though I first read about it in a historical fiction novel. Anyhow, I came upon this thread and wanted to mention crocus too! Like Ohio Mark said, it won't actually flower in the winter, but will sleep like the other bulbs he mentioned. Does it snow where you are Grant? Oh my goodness, there is nothing prettier than a crocus blooming up through a layer of snow, letting you know Spring is near. I would looove to have a bulb garden again. At my old place in NC I had a little front garden with only Crocus, Daffodils, Tulips and Lilies. I LOVE bulb flowers, and though they aren't winter flowers, they were the ones I thought about all winter when I lives up north. They showed themselves in that order every year too, with the crocus popping up in late winter and the lilies blooming well into late summer. Sorry, wish I could actually answer your question Grant, but I don't know of any winter flowers. I still think you and the gf would enjoy a little bulb garden if you can grow them. My hubs spends $$$ trying to buy stems of these very flowers for me about once a year, he knows how I love them.
This reminds me... How did Bonfire Day go, Grant? Pictures??? I never thought of crocus etc. as winter flowers in the sense I think SPRING when I see them outside, but yeah -- GO FOR IT! We do see them blooming through the snow some years and they are so easy. We've got crocus in different colors planted in almost every flowerbed. They even come in deep orange and pink now... Daffodils come in just about every conceivable size or shape - even pale green or copper -- and then there are the less-popular-but-Ah-inspiring Glory-of-the-Snow that spreads and makes visitors say "Those are beautiful! What are they?" and Siberian Squill, for a punch of very rich, deep blue. Grape hyacinths also come in more colors than some people realize. We have one bed with those in white, various shades of blue, and different purples all planted thickly with yellow& orange daffodils. But the best (IMO) "winter flower" is helleborus.
CANDY-LOVE1.jpg.jpg

They tend to be a bit pricey here, but do multiply slowly and they come in all kinds of colors from near-black to pure-white and variegated. They are hardy once well rooted and bloom early and last long. Worth every penny! (Or for Grant, every pound. )

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom