Winter Break

1. desilu77 Initiate Member

Hey Everyone,

I keep an 8 gallon biOrb take in my dorm at UCLA, and next week we begin our winter break. I had planned to leave a slow-release food tablet in the tank that would last at least a week and a half. However, I just found out that by "closing down the buildings" they mean to shut down the power as well.

I don't really have the equipment to transport the fish home with me and care for them over break. Honestly, I'm not sure how I would go about that anyway, but it's definitely possible since I only live an hour drive away. I also don't want to screw up the tank environment, because 1) I just finished the nitrogen cycle and 2) I was planning on introducing a few more fish shortly after I got back.

Any suggestions??

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Desilu. I saw in another post that when the dorms are closed for breaks they may also fumigate. I think I would do all I could to take the tank with me. You can bag the fish, drain the water to the point that only the gravel is covered keeping it wet. Also keep all of your filter media wet. Since you only have an hours drive, chances are everything would be ok when you got home. Hopefully it would only be like a water change. My filters are off for 2 hours when I do my water change and no problems with my cycle.
    Best of luck and enjoy your break!
    Keep us posted.
    Ken

3. rt12 Member Member

Its easier than you think to transport only an 8 gallon.You just need to drain the tank down so the fish has just enough room to swim and keep him in their until you get home or put him in a seperate container but still leave some water in your tank. As for any filter media I would soak it an a container with some of the water that you drained, this will keep all the media alive for definitly over an hour. I've done this before when kind of "remodeling" my tanks.

4. desilu77 Initiate Member

Thanks to you both, I appreciate the advice. Looks like I'll be taking the fish home over break :)