Windows 10 activation with Windows 7 key?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by delta5, Jul 29, 2015.

1. delta5

delta5Well Known MemberMember

I updated to Windows 10 from 7. I enter my windows 7 key and it says its invalid. Only reply I got on MS forum is I should go buy Windows... Anyone here know how to solve this?

2. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

I think you have to have one version before like Windows 8 or 8.1???? I am not 100% certain but maybe because Windows 7 is too old??????

3. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

It states on Microsoft website that Windows 7 users will also receive the upgrade.

Are you using an enterprise version or home premium/ultimate?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. PuffPuff

PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

yeha window user 7 and 8.1 users will get the free update

5. OP
    OP
    delta5

I figured out my problem. I created an install usb drive but in order to use it you have to have a windows 10 key. I just needed to pick the upgrade now option. So.... Installed 7, updated to sp1, now waiting for 3gig download to finish... sigh... lol tho... Kinda trolled myself there. Anyways... OMG windows 10 is freaking cool. Its like insta startup after pushing the power button. It auto downloaded the correct drivers for my video cards, headset, ect with no needed prompt or interruptions.

6. PuffPuff

PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

no lie, waaaay better then that horrible just plain ridiculous 8.1

7. OP
    OP
    delta5

Only reason i'm upgrading from 7 to 10 is because fallout 4 might use dx12. dx12 is windows 10 only.

8. Geoff

GeoffWell Known MemberMember

I have a laptop with Windows 8 but I haven't used it in almost a year, as I prefer my iMac and MacBook. If 10 is really that cool, maybe I'll dust off the laptop and download it and check it out.

9. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

My laptop still didn't get the Windows 10 upgrade notification :(

10. OP
    OP
    delta5

Just make sure you have Service pack 1 or greater, and in the systems window it says your copy of windows is good.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice