Wimpy Harliquin Rasbora

Kysarkel000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey all,

So a while back I bought 10 Harliquin Rasboras and some of them were sick with something (it seemed to be neon Tetra Disease?), so they all died except for 4. I kept them in a quarantine tank for about a month after all the deaths stopped. After that, I added them to a 20 gallon community tank, along with 3 more, so now I have a school of 7 (The 3 were kept in a separate quarantine tank for 2 weeks, no problems).

They all seem quite happy and colorful, swimming around, chasing my fingers, etc. Except for one of them. This one seems really wimpy, and not colorful, but it's keeping up with the school, has good fins and scales, and I haven't seen anyone picking on it.

Do you think this one still has neon Tetra Disease they just waiting for someone to take a bite before it explodes in my tank again? Should I euthanize it?? I didn't buy any wimpy fish sooooo... I feel like something's wrong here..

Thanks in advanced!
MVIMG_20190325_124458.jpg
MVIMG_20190325_124451.jpg

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Considering you lost a substantial amount of the school to some type of contagious bacterial outbreak. The surviving, but fading fish, might only be a genetically weak fish, or gradually being inundated with bacteria. IMO probably best to remove the noted fish as to avoid spreading the disease.

Kysarkel000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A201 said:
Considering you lost a substantial amount of the school to some type of contagious bacterial outbreak. The surviving, but fading fish, might only be a genetically weak fish, or gradually being inundated with bacteria. IMO probably best to remove the noted fish as to avoid spreading the disease.
Hey! Thank you so much for your reply!! Sorry it took me so long to get back here lol!

I'm thinking it's just a genetically weak fish because since posting this, it's color has really popped and it's gotten a little bit beefier. Definitely looking better than it was before.

I'll probably keep it for now, but the second I see anyone's health declining I'm yanking all 7 Rasboras out and putting them back into their quarantine tank! Lol

Thanks again so much for your advice, I really appreciate it!!

ap4lmtree

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don't think you should remove the fish from the main thank. He does look like a weak fish. I might think of him as a baby or maybe even a different species.

When you buy new fish, you have to acclimate them over an hour or two to the new type of tap or sourced water. Likewise and in addition to this, when doing water changes with harlequin rasboras, it is best not to do more than 70% or so water change as there could be too much shock from that too.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom