Will young gold barbs mix with mature gold barbs?

MartintheBNpleco

Recently I lost one of my gold barbs (likely due to old age as he was about 5 or 6 years old). This left me with 3 gold barbs and as they are schooling fish I decided to add some more. The only size of gold barb the LFS had was tiny and compared to my other 3 mature barbs, they are only about a third of their size.

I am worried that the size difference may prevent them from schooling together and even though my barbs have shown very little aggression, I don't want the newbies to be picked on.

After introduction, there was some interaction between the new group and the old group of barbs but the next day, the smaller barbs are hiding in the leaves and I can't tell if they are getting enough food.

My question is whether I should move the younger/smaller barbs to a quarantine tank to grow them out a bit and reintroduce them? My main tank is a 300 litre community tank with plenty of hiding spaces for them but I will move them if it's a better option.

Thanks in advance.

Yeoy

I'd give them maybe 2 weeks or so at least, see how they go. If you're a young/small fish it makes sense to hide and be shy until you know it's safe. Give them a bit of time and I think they'd be schooling in no time.

Upvote 0

kallililly1973

Our 10 tiger barbs had a single baby about 3-4 months ago and it would hide cause it was the size of a pea and the original 10 tigers were bigger than a quarter but now the baby is bigger than a dime and is right in the mix with the others during feeding time. They will get used to each other eventually.

Upvote 0

MartintheBNpleco

I'd give them maybe 2 weeks or so at least, see how they go. If you're a young/small fish it makes sense to hide and be shy until you know it's safe. Give them a bit of time and I think they'd be schooling in no time.
Thanks. I shall keep a close eye on them and hopefully they will get more confident and come out more :)
Our 10 tiger barbs had a single baby about 3-4 months ago and it would hide cause it was the size of a pea and the original 10 tigers were bigger than a quarter but now the baby is bigger than a dime and is right in the mix with the others during feeding time. They will get used to each other eventually.
Thanks, that's what I'm hoping! The slightly bigger baby seems the most confident and I see him come out from time to time :)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Leeman75
  • Question
Replies
Views
Gameynerd23
  • Question
Replies