Will Yellow Java Moss Regrow? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by AnnFrann, Aug 10, 2019.

1. AnnFrann

AnnFrannNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Long story short I started my first planted aquarium and decided java moss on a rock would look pretty cool. My heater malfunctioned raising the temp from 76 to somewhere in the low 80s. It must of been 3-7 hrs from when I noticed it and it returned to normal temp. During that time my Java Moss turned a yellow color while my other plants were fine.
    upload_2019-8-10_23-36-16.

Is there any chance it will grow back or is it completely dead? (The picture makes it look brown but in person it’s all yellow)

2. Sheldon13

Sheldon13Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +270
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I don’t have experience with that specific moss, but my Christmas moss grew back after yellowed, as did flame moss. Those are similar enough that I would say yes, it may yet survive.

3. OP
    OP
    AnnFrann

AnnFrannNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Do you know how long it took to recover?

4. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +499
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Um...because it looks more brown than yellow, it's hard for me to tell, but java moss is pretty resilient and it might regrow under proper conditions and with time. Probably not all of it will recover, but a bit might.
    I'm surprised that it yellowed in three hours due to a that temperature. My java moss is in my betta tank at 84 degrees and it's green and healthy. How close is the light to the moss?

5. Sheldon13

Sheldon13Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +270
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It took several weeks.

6. OP
    OP
    AnnFrann

AnnFrannNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    The light isn’t that close, my only guess is the temp is what caused it to yellow because it was fine before the incident happened. Maybe the instant change in temperature shocked it, the plant is just adjusting, or iron deficiency (I started dosing this week) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?? I put in some left over Java Moss I had in a cup in the tank and it seems to be doing pretty good. I’ll give it a month to regrow and if worse comes to worse I’ll just rip it off the rock and glue new Moss on it. Thanks for the reply!

Become a Fishlore Member