Will Vacuuming Take Away Nutrients From The Plants?

Sydsam

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Will vacuuming take away nutrients from the plants? I'm not sure how to get a good balance between what the fish need and what the plants need. What if root tabs are involved? should I stay away from live plants, and just vacuum here and there?

Brizburk

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sydsam said:
Will vacuuming take away nutrients from the plants? I'm not sure how to get a good balance between what the fish need and what the plants need. What if root tabs are involved? should I stay away from live plants, and just vacuum here and there?
Vacuuming should remove uneaten food, fish poop and other particles that contaminate the tank. It should not take nutrients away from plants. Plant food can be supplemented.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sydsam said:
I skI'm siphon in planted areas, or create a suction funnel with the end of the siphon or my hands by waving it in a circular motion and sucking up what is dislodged in tight areas. I just suck up the mulm on the top, I never expose the root tabs because they are buried beneath. I will deep siphon where there are no plants or root tabs.

New Threads