Will Tiger Barbs School With Other Barbs?

1. Can't Find Nemo Initiate Member

Like the title states, I was wondering if tiger Barbs will school with other barbs like Rosy barbs? Or will they only school with other Tigers?
  2. MCJoner Initiate Member

I kept tiger Barbs and black ruby barbs, the tigers do there own thing and school together where as the Ruby’s tended to stay in their own pack and sit in one spot. Got the odd straggler joining the other types but not all together

3. Can't Find Nemo Initiate Member

Ok, good to know!
  4. Nataku Well Known Member Member

No they school with other tiger barbs not other barb species. They may go check out other fish on occassion but they dont stay togwther and school. When I had cherry barbs and tigers in the same tank the cherries and tigers ignored each other save for feeding time.

Although my current school of tiger barbs has accepted my rainbow shark as one of their own and he spends most of his day swimming with the barbs. But then he's always been a little funny. They don't actively seek him out, he swims up and inserts himself right into the middle of their loose group as they do slow rings around the tank.

5. Dawna Hunn Initiate Member

I have green tigers (and a few platinums) and Odessas. For the most part only the greens hang out together and the odessas are kind of all over. But there are a few odessas who seem to stick together and often mix in with the greens. In the evening when the lights are off in the tank but lighting from the room is all they have is when they do their schooling around the tank. During the day everyone just wanders around where ever. The only fish I have that really sticks together are my white cloud mountain minnows. Even my blue king tetras are all over the place.
  6. Can't Find Nemo Initiate Member

I knew they could get along with other varieties of the tiger barbs and had wondered about barbs in general.

I've thought about getting a rainbow shark, but sadly I don't think my 20 long will house one. At least, not for long.

Green tigers looks really cool. I don't much care for the cost, $9 a fish at my LFS. lol But that's what I've seen even with my Rosys. They really don't school but just go all over the place, doing their own thing.
  7. RonJ Member Member

No they don’t. At least they don’t with my gold barbs. Or the other way around. However clown loaches can and will school with tiger barbs.