Will this work? Question 

  • Thread starter

RiverFisher87

Valued Member
Messages
60
Reaction score
32
Points
28
So I currently got this 20 gallon fresh water tank, hob filter and normal tank lights. If I was to turn this into a salt water tank, what would need to be done? Can I use the same filter and same filter pads? Will the lights still be good? Also I was thinking getting a tank just for scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp, I love how you can get them to clean your hands. How many could I get and do I need coral in the tank? Also how many of those shrimp could I get?
Thanks
 

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
1,395
Points
173
Beautiful brook trout. They are my favorite fish and I love trout fishing.

Back to the question. Your equipment will work and if you don’t want corals no you don’t need them. Get the shrimp you want and and get some live rock. If you want corals let us know and your light might or might not work. I’d say no though.
 
  • Thread starter

RiverFisher87

Valued Member
Messages
60
Reaction score
32
Points
28
saltwater60 said:
Beautiful brook trout. They are my favorite fish and I love trout fishing.

Back to the question. Your equipment will work and if you don’t want corals no you don’t need them. Get the shrimp you want and and get some live rock. If you want corals let us know and your light might or might not work. I’d say no though.
Perfect, the cheaper the better, I just want the scarlet skunk shrimp! I’ll buy some live rock and sand and throw some of them in there!

Also I love trout fish too, there’s a bunch of brooks around my house I catch them in, it’s a great past time during the summer!

Spencer
 

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
1,395
Points
173
Did you ever hear of tenkara fishing? It’s great for little Brooks like that.
 
  • Thread starter

RiverFisher87

Valued Member
Messages
60
Reaction score
32
Points
28
saltwater60 said:
Did you ever hear of tenkara fishing? It’s great for little Brooks like that.
Nah, I never heard of that, maybe they don’t live in Canada. I also do a lot of striped bass fishing in the bay in my back yard, I caught a 41 inch bass this summer
 

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
1,395
Points
173
Tenkara is a type of fishing rod. Check it out as it’s really great for small streams.
Tenkara USA

I’m in NYS but I’m in western NY so I don’t get to the ocean much. Also not too many brook trout by me. More rainbows and browns. I get steelhead out of the lakes at times.

41” stripped bass is nice. This season wasn’t my best for fishing. I don’t think I caught anything really write home about. I worked too much. I’m changing that this season though.
I’m mad we had a trip to the Florida keys planned 4/8 but that’s not happening now. I planned to fish and lobster hunt down there.
 
  • Thread starter

RiverFisher87

Valued Member
Messages
60
Reaction score
32
Points
28
saltwater60 said:
Tenkara is a type of fishing rod. Check it out as it’s really great for small streams.
Tenkara USA

I’m in NYS but I’m in western NY so I don’t get to the ocean much. Also not too many brook trout by me. More rainbows and browns. I get steelhead out of the lakes at times.

41” stripped bass is nice. This season wasn’t my best for fishing. I don’t think I caught anything really write home about. I worked too much. I’m changing that this season though.
I’m mad we had a trip to the Florida keys planned 4/8 but that’s not happening now. I planned to fish and lobster hunt down there.
I live out in the country in eastern Canada I use a ice fishing rod for brook trout fishing, there just like little 3 foot rods, they work great for going threw tough brush and I can put in it a back pack on my fourwheeler and not worry about clipping the top off. We sadly don’t have brown trout don’t here thought, but we do have rainbows, those are really fun to catch in some local ponds, I also love taking out my canoe and just trolling in the river down the road. Where I live we have the a big sea, so we have lots of lobster fishing here, but a really cool place is this lake, and it’s just a lake lik 5 km inland but has a lik canal that connects to the sea, so it’s a salt water lake. It’s nicknamed buffet lake, cause you never know what you gonna get. You can catch flounder, bass, some smaller sharks and even and catch lobster, all in a lake!
 

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
1,395
Points
173
That lake
RiverFisher87 said:
I live out in the country in eastern Canada I use a ice fishing rod for brook trout fishing, there just like little 3 foot rods, they work great for going threw tough brush and I can put in it a back pack on my fourwheeler and not worry about clipping the top off. We sadly don’t have brown trout don’t here thought, but we do have rainbows, those are really fun to catch in some local ponds, I also love taking out my canoe and just trolling in the river down the road. Where I live we have the a big sea, so we have lots of lobster fishing here, but a really cool place is this lake, and it’s just a lake lik 5 km inland but has a lik canal that connects to the sea, so it’s a salt water lake. It’s nicknamed buffet lake, cause you never know what you gonna get. You can catch flounder, bass, some smaller sharks and even and catch lobster, all in a lake!
sounds like a great place. What’s the name of the lake. I’d like to visit sometime. I’m in NYS so might not be too far from me. A buddy of mine and me like to fish and that sounds like a fun trip.
 
  • Thread starter

RiverFisher87

Valued Member
Messages
60
Reaction score
32
Points
28
saltwater60 said:
That lake

sounds like a great place. What’s the name of the lake. I’d like to visit sometime. I’m in NYS so might not be too far from me. A buddy of mine and me like to fish and that sounds like a fun trip.
Lockhart lake, it’s about 1 hour from Moncton New Brunswick
 

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
1,395
Points
173
RiverFisher87 said:
Lockhart lake, it’s about 1 hour from Moncton New Brunswick
Ah you know it’s 14-15 hours away so maybe not. Sounds like a great place though. Shucks.
 
  • Thread starter

RiverFisher87

Valued Member
Messages
60
Reaction score
32
Points
28
saltwater60 said:
Ah you know it’s 14-15 hours away so maybe not. Sounds like a great place though. Shucks.
Yeah I figure it was gonna be to far but if you do ever come here, it’s a great place to cast a line
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom