Will This Work? Help

1. SegiDream

SegiDream Well Known Member Member

So while browsing the great www, I came across a comment that said hard to spawn fish can spawn with great success while kept outside in the summer. I would love to do this with perhaps cpds or chili rasboras. I have a couple pots that may work, guessing about 7 gallons in size give or take.

But we don't have an outdoor power source. I was looking at solar powered pumps, cheap ones that do not run at night. Can you fit a sponge over the intake or outtake, make it into a kind of filter? If there are only a handful of fish, will the daytime pump/filter and lots of plants be enough for them? And if yes to all that, any tips on a great way to raccoon proof a small round pond pot?

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Something like that could be run as a still pond, without mechanical filtration, just lots of oxygenating plants like anacharis and hornwort.

Racoons are tough. Solar lights with motion detectors might be helpful. A heavy grate, like a recycled bbq grill fixed into place would keep them from fishing. I've seen them tear up chicken wire, so if they're an issue, do look into appropriate precautions.

3. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

I don't know how it would work (sorry!) but to raccoon proof a fine mesh would work... Also I would be somewhat concerned about dragonfly nymphs getting in because those will eat fish. So get a really fine mesh and maybe even build some kind of locking system into the sides of the pots with matching parts on the mesh.... Maybe even padlocks, with the top part running through a hole you could make in the mesh, and having parts for it to lock on built on the sides of the pots far enough down that raccoons can't stick their hands up it

4. OP
    OP
    SegiDream

Hmmmm thank you guys very much. So I need to find anacharis and/or hornwort. The pump is still a good idea or no?

Thank you for mentioning dragonfly nymphs, I had forgotten about them entirely. One of the pots is a rubber like flexible material. I wonder if I could work short screws into the sides of it... Hmm. Or I have planter hanging basket chains, if I repurpose those by sticking the chains under the bottom and hooked the mesh through the ends of the chains... maybe?

I can't wait to get started!

5. Rtessy

All I gotta say is, good luck, i i thk you'll be fine, you already have all kinds of great ideas! I'm partial to anacharis myself, I've used it in several instances in which I would get a fish in an uncycled tank, and there would never even be ammonia readings or nitrite or anything.

6. maggie thecat

You could use a solar powered spitter for water movement. It may discourage insects from laying eggs in the water.

7. maggie thecat

It's pond season right now. You can get anacharis and hornwort, as well as various floaters and marginal plants at Home Depot, if you don't have a proper pond supply or use Ebay.

8. OP
    OP
    SegiDream

Would you believe I've been to four stores/nurseries this year and haven't found any pond plants (except hyacinth) and there are some great nurseries here. I haven't been to home depot yet so I'll try there!

9. wodesorel

wodesorel Valued Member Member

Depends on the Home Depot - the ones near me do not sell water plants, but they did have some marginal rushes in with the potted perennials.

Any pond fish farms nearby? I got my hyacinth and lettuce for $3 a clump! And will probably be going back for koi at some point, those being not so cheap.

10. maggie thecat

I didn't love their prices. But if you need to get rolling and like to buy local, they could be an option. The hornwort they had came in a mesh sack that was meant to be dropped into pond intact. They weren't especially obvious since they were hiding underneath the water lettuce and hyacinths.

Apparently locations vary on their stocking. But it was the last place I thought to look when I was doing a still pond several years ago, so I wanted to toss them into the mix.

11. OP
    OP
    SegiDream

Thanks for the info. Yeah I'm disappointed I haven't found more 'water garden plant' options locally, though I have a feeling I just haven't discovered the right place yet. I would love to have a large pond eventually. My parents tore out their old in-ground swimming pool and there's a lot of broken edge concrete slabs that IMO might look great as some sort of edging/overhang for a pond.

Anyways, I googled and found a pond supply store not too far away, and there's literally a home depot right around the corner from that place so I can check both places. And guess who has an unexpected day off kid free lol.

12. Rtessy

Do you have a PetCo or PetSmart? The ones near me have some good plant choices, though PetSmart manages to kill their anacharis so it's a bit sketchy

13. maggie thecat

Enjoy your day out!

14. OP
    OP
    SegiDream

yeah I have those near me. They have anubias, java fern, bulb plants, cryptocoryne undulate red, pennywort, and bamboo.

I stopped at a nursery near me, they had gotten some pond plants in.. Water lettuce, hyacinth, and parrot feather. I got some of the parrot feather but I'm not convinced it will work. I should have just gone to home depot.

15. maggie thecat

Parrot feather can be potted or, much to my surprise, floated. I have some stuck in my floating ring and it is quite pretty amongst the water hyacinths.

It probably wouldn't be a bad plan to seek out some anacharis though.

16. OP
    OP
    SegiDream

Ok update. I found the hornwort at home depot $5 a bag. They had some other watery plants there like some sort of grassy and spiky plants I might be interested in adding later but I have no idea if they're suitable for a container.

I bought a larger container, also rubber-plastic like and looks like a wood barrel. Not fond of the welcome sign on the front of it. I'll figure out the gallons when I fill it up. At the moment I'm not using pots in the water, I feel like that will eat up too much open space but well that might change if I get other plants I don't know.

Now all I have to do is figure out placement and put it together. Partial sun/shade or full shade?

17. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

For the plants partial sun/shade. Hornwort is lovely and fish love to lay eggs or have their fry in it. Parrots feather is incredibly invasive. I just pulled two bushels of it out of my fish pond. And still have that much more. Duckweed is a good floating plant (keep it contained in a small floating ring). Hyacinth and water lettuce tend to get plant leeches so be aware of that. And if you ask on Facebook marketplace, you may find pond owners like me having to throw away pond plants because they overgrow.
    I don’t have a problem with raccoons. Have a lot of raccoons they just don’t bother my fish. Dwarf papyrus is a pretty plant that would provide shade and overwinter well. Have fun!

18. OP
    OP
    SegiDream

The container turned out to be 10gallons, more if i dared to fill it all the way.

Yeah I read parrots feather is pretty invasive. I will trash any that I pull out. When I opened the hornwort bags I was disappointed to find tiny bits of duckweed mixed in. I'm not a fan. Papyrus would be cool.

19. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Duckweed is good for my frog pond and I can toss some into the fish pond as a treat. Only problem is it only takes one whole leaf to cover a pond in a hurry. The papyrus with a few spider lilies in a pot would provide shade and beauty. Oh and I love golden creeping Jenny. Beautiful little plant that isn’t picky about whether it’s planted or floating and doesn’t mind being trimmed back. :)

20. OP
    OP
    SegiDream

lol I've had duckweed in my 20h for several months now, can't ever seem to eradicate it. Thank you for your plant suggestions, I really do want to get the papyrus and lilies eventually. Are these perennials? Can they overwinter indoors? I have a little bit of creeping jenny! Also have a pothos plant I was debating whether or not to seat it in the water and let it drape out along the porch railing...

Right now I'm struggling with the strength and position of the water pump/spitter thing. Porch was half covered in water this morning. Think I'm just going to leave the attachments off and let it bubble the water surface for now.