Will this work or is it back to the drawing board?

Annabelle
I'm just setting my tank up (currently cycling) and I'm trying to work out the fish numbers and combo. The tank is approx. 2ft long x 1 1/2ft high x 1ft wide. I'm not sure what that is in gallons.
I want to get Neon Tetras, KhuliI Loach/es, Cories, and Glass Catfish. The original plan was to get 2 cories, 10 neons, 5 glass catfish and a loach but through research I have discovered that the khuliis are sociable and like having pals of their own kind so I want to get two but I'm worried about over crowding and I don't want to cut down on numbers with the others cause I'm working on minimum numbers as is. I'd be willing to replace the glass catfish with something smaller if needs be. I also want to put my Siamese Fighting Fish in the tank if possible cause it would save having the two tanks running like I currently have.
Will I get away with the combo and numbers (including the 2 loaches) and still have happy fish or should I cut down and rethink? I am going to have lots of hidey holes and plants.
PS. I'll put the water parameters on my profile when I finish cycling the tank as I'm not putting anything alive in there till then.

capekate
HI Annabelle
Calculating your tank size you have a 22g. Its nice to know that you are cycling it the right way, fishless. About your stocking plans for this tank tho, looks like you may have to rethink your stock.
The glass catfish grow up to 6 inches. Adding 5 of them at 30 inches would over stock your tank with just them, and they do need to be in groups. The loach, another 4 inches, your 10 neons would be around 15 inches and the cories around 6 inches. So your total stock would be roughly 55 inches of fish for a 22gal tank.
So it looks like you may have to rethink your favorites and see if you can come up with something that fits. I would omit the glass catfish, since they get too big, need to be in groups and the 22g is not big enough for them.
Out of the list.. what are your favorites? we can try to work with that.

kra-z-fishmumm
The glass catfish grow up to 6 inches.

Capekate,,,what kind of glass cats do you get?!!! mine only get to about 3". Do you live in TX where everything is bigger?jk They do like a group like CK said, 3-5 has been my experience. So that is still a big chunk (9"-15", or more if you get a bigger school) out of your 22g, esp. if you have other fish you would rather get. Nice job on the cycling process

capekate
Capekate,,,what kind of glass cats do you get?!!! mine only get to about 3". Do you live in TX where everything is bigger?jk They do like a group like CK said, 3-5 has been my experience. So that is still a big chunk (9"-15", or more if you get a bigger school) out of your 22g, esp. if you have other fish you would rather get. Nice job on the cycling process

LOL No I don't live in Texas ... reading from my fish bible it says:
Glass Catfish Kryptopterus bicirrhis,. (quote) Size up to 6 inches (15cm) but usually smaller. (unquote)
The long version.. made short is that there is another species of Glass catfish:
"A second, less transparent species from the same general area-K. macrocephalus (the so-called Poor Man's Glass catfish) is also available, along with a smaller, highly transparent species, K. Minor."
So I guess it really depends on which species of Glass Catfish we are talking.. It is probably the lesser size one that is most available.. sorry for any confusion!

Annabelle
Well I definitely want the neons. I really want the loaches but they are ones I hadn't set my heart on as I had a feeling they would be too big for the tank especially as they like to be social so I would want to get more than one. What bout 10 neons and the 2 cories? If that works can I squeeze my Betta in as well? He has his own tank if I can't but it would make things easier. I just really want to make sure that everything has enough room so I can see it at its happiest and best. The are also some glass tetras that I saw in the shop that look cool and I'll add them if they fit but if they don't ill be happy with just the neons in the middle water.
I'm aiming to get a 3ft or 4ft tank eventually (at least) and I can get the glass catfish and the khuliis then. I'm patient so I can wait. I just have to wrangle my bf into loving this tank so that he will agree.

capekate
HI Annabelle
Your stocking idea sounds good for now. I have never had neons, but I have cardinal tetras, and if the neons are as peace loving as my cardinals, I would think that you can try moving your Betta in with them and the cories. You would have to monitor it really well for awhile and see if they all get along with the Betta and possibly keep that other ten gal going for awhile for just in case you have to move your Betta back there. If they all get along that would be great and then you can keep the ten gal for a Qt. I would put the neons and cories in first and then introduce the Betta.
Good luck with it! ;D

Annabelle
Yay! I love forums! The people on forums are not trying to sell fish so they are more likely to be realistic about what will work best. I even had one guy from a shop tell me that I could fit about 7 different species in the tank. I think it was 5 glowlight tetras, 10 neons, 2 cories, a khulii, and 3 glass catfish as well as a bristlenose and my betta. Even I (who am learning) thought that was excessive.
From what Ive read neons are a little more timid than the cardinals so it should all go well. I'm going to stock the tank over a decent period of time and I like to work from the bottom up so my Betta was going to be last ne way. I was thinking, 2 cories first, 5 neons the week after, 5 more neons the week after that and then my betta. That timeframe will of course rely on the levels of the ammonia etc recovering and stabalising within that week. I also have a QT cycling so I'll be able to keep the next batch in there till their time comes to move into their new home. At one point I had 5 male Bettas each in their own tank scattered around the house so if anything goes wrong I have spare tanks lying around everywhere. BTW, it was the Kryptopterus bicirrhis that I was talking about. Thanx for all your help so far. I'm so excited!

Narcicius
good luck with your tank, and keep an eye on the parameters so you can get those cories in ASAP

capekate
Well with all those tanks sitting around you are all set for that QT tank!
And its the right way to do it by introducing the fish a little at a time so you do not cause a minI cycle by an over load of waste etc..
You are right on target and it sounds like you know exactly what you are doing! It all sounds good! ;D
Yeh, that glass cat fish would be kind of big for your tank! lol... It never fails to amaze me just how little the fish store employee's know about this hobby!
Good for you for not falling for their advice on how many fish you can keep in that tank!
... and I agree forums are great! Especially this one! lol...

COBettaCouple
Maybe he'd like to shove a few killer whales in the tank too?
I even had one guy from a shop tell me that I could fit about 7 different species in the tank. I think it was 5 glowlight tetras, 10 neons, 2 cories, a khulii, and 3 glass catfish as well as a bristlenose and my betta.

angelfish22
KhulI loaches produce the amount of waste as a fish half its size so you can count then as a 2 inch fish.

Annabelle
Didnt know that about the khuliis. I'll definitely have to keep that in mind when I get a bigger tank cause I'll make sure the tank is big enough to get some. They are so cute and they seem to have such great personalities. They are definitely on my list to get later on.

Annabelle
Maybe he'd like to shove a few killer whales in the tank too?

Lol, Ive always wanted a killer whale! Maybe some dolphins too. I could just see that in my lounge room.

COBettaCouple
Just let their tank run 48 hours and everything will be cool.
Lol, Ive always wanted a killer whale! Maybe some dolphins too. I could just see that in my lounge room.

Annabelle
Wow! I never knew a Marine aquarium for large aquatic mammals could be so easy! Then again, if you talk to the right pet shop worker, everything is easy and simple and as quick as can be!
I had a major setback with my tank. When I tested the parameters last week, everything read 0 except for the pH (7.8). I was so frustrated cause of course it meant my tank hadn't even started cycling and I'd have to wait even longer before I could get my fish. I scooped some water out of my halfway cycled QT and tipped it over my filter media in an effort to kick start the cycle (obviously my bacteria stuff has all died since I last used it and is now useless). Then I waited for a little bit. I restested the tank today and the ammonia is up (0.25)! Success! Now all I have to do is wait and wait and retest etc. till its all finished. Maybe if my QT cycles soon I can get my cories and they can just have a long quarantine period?! Probably not the best idea but I'll see if I can hold out and be patient.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views
DylanM
Replies