Will This Work For 55g? Help

1. Ioana Dog

Ioana Dog Valued Member Member

I have a 55g (48 inches wide x 12.5 inches deep x 21 inches high) with 2 aquaclear 70s and 2 double sided sponge filters and sand substrate with lots of plants. Would this stocking plan work:
    14 preacox dwarf rainbow fish
    12 cories (6 peppered and 6 julii)
    4 turquoise rainbow fish

I already have the cories and preacox rainbow fish (half of each are in the tank and the other half is still in quarantine) and am thinking of adding the turquoise ones but I’m not sure if they are too big and/or if I’m really overstocked.

Aquavisor says I’m overstocked at 116% but filtration is good at 171% (this was done without adding in the sponge filters because you can only list 2 per tank).

I have 12 forktail blue eye rainbow fish happy in another tank but could move them to the 55 if the turquoise won’t work.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would add another few turquoise rainbows and more of each of the cory species, but that should be fine (though the turquoise grow pretty large and may look cramped in there as adults). Be sure to keep the tank 73 F or lower.

The forktail won't work with the praecox as they're likely to be outcompeted, but if you wanted a species other than the turquoise, one that stays a little smaller, there are other Melanotaenia that would work.

3. OP
    OP
    Ioana Dog

How many more can I add of each?

4. TexasDomer

Maybe 2 more turquoise rainbows (though I might still consider a smaller Melanotaenia) and 2-4 of each of the cory species?

5. OP
    OP
    Ioana Dog

The fish store guy said the turquoise only get to be 4 inches at most but I see on different sites it’s more like 5. I will see if a local store has the smaller ones. Thank you.

6. TexasDomer

I wouldn't trust LFS employees. They're trying to make a sale, and they don't always seem to have good info. Since they can get ~5", I'd plan on them getting ~5" if you want them.

7. OP
    OP
    Ioana Dog

I upgraded the tank so the fish had more room and would be happier so I think the smaller ones would be best since I’d have to move if I want a bigger tank to make the bigger fish happy.

8. TexasDomer

Let us know what Melanotaenia the LFS has available and we can help you choose an appropriate species :)

9. OP
    OP
    Ioana Dog

Ok. Thank you. Is there one in particular you think would be best?

10. TexasDomer

There are multiple that would work, so I'd make a list of what your LFS has or can order, so we're not listing out fish that aren't available to you :)

11. OP
    OP
    Ioana Dog

Instead of 2-4 more of each species of cory can I do 6 panda cories or is it better to stick with the species I have?

12. OP
    OP
    Ioana Dog

They have yellow rainbows (melanotaenia axelrodi), red laxer rainbows, goyder river rainbows, and bosemani rainbows

And Madagascar rainbows

Will get Australian

13. TexasDomer

I would not add a third species of cory. I'd just add more of the species you already have. They like to be in big groups of their own species.

The red laser, Goyder River, Madagascar, and Boesemani rainbows need warmer water than your other fish.

M. axelrodi or Australian rainbows would work.

14. OP
    OP
    Ioana Dog

Will get Australian

How big do the m axelrodi get? They will get Australian but they don’t know when

I like the axelrodi. How many can I get? I’ll stick with peppered and julii cories for the 55

15. TexasDomer

Check those sources for size.

I would do 6-8 of either species.

16. OP
    OP
    Ioana Dog

I got 7 Australian rainbowfish. At least that’s what they told me they were, hopefully they were right! Are they the right fish?

IMG_2175.JPG IMG_2176.JPG

17. OP
    OP
    Ioana Dog

Here are better pictures now that they’re settled into a quarantine tank.
    IMG_2180.JPG IMG_2179.JPG

18. OP
    OP
    Ioana Dog

Here are better pictures. I don’t know what they are. The sign said Australian but the scientific name actually says it’s an eastern rainbow. The pictures of both fish on the internet look very similar. The web also gives sizes from 4 to 6 inches.
    IMG_2190.JPG IMG_2189.JPG

19. TexasDomer

@chromedome52 can answer that much better than I. What size are they?

20. OP
    OP
    Ioana Dog

I think the biggest are a little over 2 inches from tip of the nose to tip of the tail and the smallest are about 1.5 inches. I’m horrible at sizing fish!

It’s about 3 inches from the side of the line in the wall to the side the the tube.

They’re eating and pooping very well. They’re very active as well. I have 14 days to take them back if they are the wrong fish or will get too big.

The axelrodi are $23 each so they’re a little pricey for me and I don’t know when anyone will get real Australians in if these aren’t it.