3 yellow tail damsel
1 flame hawk
1 yellow tang
Then either a
Picasso trigger or
Harlequin tusk fish or
Dog face puffer

Aqua advisor has this as fairly light stocking

The goal is lightly stocked clean setup with 1 fish with some real personality I never seen a tusk or puffer in person but did spend 20 min once playing with a trigger

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It might just, and you might have enough big attitudes for the fish to tolerate each other well. I don't think I'd call it lightly stocked but depending on filtration and nutrient reduction it might also be doable to still keep a clean tank.

Sorry to say it, but I'm just not the stocking expert, particularly with large tanks and large fish... I enjoy fishy research but am a nano keeper after all. You'll get far better advice from the likes of @ryanr and @Jesterrace

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
List looks pretty good overall, but I would remove the Maroon Clown. Even in larger tanks they have really nasty dispositions more often than not when they mature and get well established. Know a guy who recently had to get rid of a pair of them from his 210 gallon because they wouldn't let him add any other fish. IMHO Ocellaris or Percula variety clowns are the only ones really suited to community tanks in the long run. The others are best left in dedicated tanks by themselves or belong in a really big tank (ie 300 gallons or more) for a community.

The rest of the list looks good but I would definitely pick the Harlequin Tusk over the Dogface Puffer or the Triggerfish. It is more likely to do well in a 135 gallon community tank than the other two and unlike the other two it won't outgrow the 135 (provided the 135 is at least 6 feet long). The other thing is that the Harlequin Tusk IMHO is more unique than the other two fish (not as many people have them) and has more color.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I second the tusk ..
I had one and it was a lot calmer then I thought it would be .
Outstanding colors also .
I also second no maroon clown .Between them and black they are some of the meanest fish I have ever owned in marine aquaria .

Oarngesi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The clown I already have after a year he is maybe 2 in never went after another fish I really don’t want to keep a separate tank for him he only uses a 1/4 of a 29g as it is. I like the tusk do they have really good personalities and do there colors look as good as they are in real life as in pictures?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yea my tusk looked awesome and was a sally in my 120 predator tank . He was with 2 lionfish ,miniautus grouper and snowflake moray..He was the nicest of all !
There are 2 color variations from different collection points I think ? .I think Pacific/Australian has some purple and is the preferred ...
If you can add the clown last you have done all you can ..
I lost it with my black and later maroon clown when they both dragged new guy right into anemone ...

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yea my tusk looked awesome and was a sally in my 120 predator tank . He was with 2 lionfish ,miniautus grouper and snowflake moray..He was the nicest of all !
There are 2 color variations from different collection points I think ? .I think Pacific/Australian has some purple and is the preferred ...
If you can add the clown last you have done all you can ..
I lost it with my black and later maroon clown when they both dragged new guy right into anemone ...
Dang, I would hate those fish with a passion if they did that to a fish that cool. Not a fan of maroons as is though.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi,
Just want to jump in seeings as Stella tagged me. I don't have much to add on top of what has already been said.

Though, I'm not a fan of damsels (save for clowns), instead, I'd look at a more community/schooling type species. The Yellow stripe cardinal makes a good addition to a community tank (Ostorhinchus cyanosoma), they're also more mid to top dwelling, so they can add some life to what is normally a pretty dull area of the tank.

Oarngesi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The damsel are real hardy fish and really pretty honestly I could leave them off completely but doubt I would replace them.

The maroon clown is going in for sure is there anything that could survive/thrive with it with it being killed by the other fish?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Honestly it's anyone's guess with the maroon. You could improve your chances by going with more aggressive fish, but that would mean a pretty hefty revision of your entire stock list. Or you could just try it as is and remove it if it gets too territorial/aggressive. The latter option is probably the best. I would definitely transfer the Maroon as the last fish in the tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom