will this stocking list be ok for a 55 gal

1. ryankaren Initiate Member

well first off hi my names ryan and my wife is karen we just had our first baby boy 3 weeks ago and are looking into geting a 55 gal aquarium since were pretty sure it will be something he will enjoy over the years and something we know we will enjoy.
    It will be a few months before we actually get the tank and everything so be a while before we get any fish really since will be doing a fishless nitrogen cycle been doing none stop reading on what i need to do to keep the fish alive and happy lol.
    Anyway was just wondering if this stocking list was ok and are open to any suggestions that we can get on it weather to many fish or some fish we shouldnt put together

8 albino corys
    2 anglefish from what i read we need to make sure to find a pair or not really sure on this
    1 bristlenose pleco
    10 cherry barbs
    and 2 german blue rams

and thanks for any help :)

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;bananapc Congratulations on the baby! I have 4 children from 20 to 3 (three boys and one SPOILED girl). I had my last one at 47! I know what a joy they are in your life. I also wanted to congratulate you on knowing about cycling BEFORE you actually set-up the aquarium. That is something that a lot of us didn't do. As for your stocking, it looks good to me, but I am not the expert on that on Fishlore. I will leave the stamp of approval for someone else.

Welcome to Fishlore.:;hf

p.s. I love rams!!:;cr

3. Brainlady Well Known Member Member

Congrats on the baby!!:;wv
    Everything sounds fine for the stocking list to me, but I am not sure about the rams. I love the Albino Cory Cats... amazing little guys and 2 Angels in a 55 is fine. I got lucky and got a male and a female and they have turned into a bonded pair. Have heard it is hard to sex Angels. I would really recommend male and female. They are so good together and it it amazing watching them spawn. I have 8 Tiger Barbs in my 55 gallon. I don't have them with my Angels and I know some folks on FL talk about them nipping, but in my 55 they have never nipped at any of the other fish and they keep any battles to themselves!! Maybe Rosy Barbs aren't the nippy kind!!:;bananaslide

4. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Congrats on the baby! I have two boys they love the fish! ( my younger boy is 2, his first word was dada, the second was fish) I think your stocking sounds great. And cherry barbs are fine, they are a peaceful barb. The only thing I would change would be 10 cories instead of 8, and maybe 12 barbs instead of 10.

5. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Looks good to me. But beware that you can totally change your stocking plan quit quickly as there are so many possibilities! ;D

I keep a pair of Bolivian Rams just fine with my Angelfish pair in my 55g.

:)

6. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Congrats to the new parents!

I agree, start looking around and seeing whats out there before you settle for the final stock plan.

You plan currently sounds great and I might think you could even put a second school in there. If you cut a couple barbs out, but that would be long run stocking and might require a bit of over filtration.

The only caution I would give is that the angels and rams may quarrel a bit. They can live together and be ok just need to make sure they chan have their own space.

You will LOVE having cories in a tank they are a riot to watch. With your space you could add a couple as well.

7. ryankaren Initiate Member

thanks everyone and ya the lil one is a joy and thanks for the suggestions so far and ya will probally be some playing around with my list but good to know i can add a few more corys / barbs just glad to know on right track of what fish are compatible lol and will keep this updated and thanks again seems like a great forum community

8. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

If is funny that you mention it, I just caught my angelfish harassing my RAMS:;sharkie1

9. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

:sign0016:

10. ryankaren Initiate Member

well this question really isnt about stocking but would a fluval 406 be fine for filtration or to much or to little for my stock list

11. ryankaren Initiate Member