Will This Stocking Be Ok? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Danthefishlover135, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Danthefishlover135

Danthefishlover135 New Member Member

I was wondering if I can put 2 neon blue gourami, 1 powder blue dwaf gourami, 1 flame dwarf gourami and 2 peppers cory catfish. I'm just asking I have done some research and some people said it would be fine and others said no. In a 20 gallon tank.

2. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

I would say no. What size tank is this? Having multiple species or even many of the same species is usually not a good idea. The dwarf gouramis are not the nicest species, they can be rather mean to their own kind. It could work in a large enough tank, but you would also have to keep in mind that males are more likely to fight with each other than females.

Corydoras should always be kept in groups, up their number to at least 6.

3. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Honestly dwarf gouromis are known to be territorial so in a 20 it probably will not end well.

4. OP
    OP
    Danthefishlover135

If I only put the 2 neon blue gourami and other fish and the peppers cory will that be fine?

5. Hego_Damask

Hego_Damask Valued Member Member

I have 2 honey gourami, 6 cory cats & 6 tetras in my planted 20 G

6. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

You must of edited in the 20gal bit whilst I was typing my first message :p

20gals is a definite no to multiple dwarf gourami. Even two is a risk. Best to have a single dwarf (or a trio of honeys), a school of corydoras, and then a school of tetras (cardinals, black neon, etc)

7. OP
    OP
    Danthefishlover135

Ok that helps me a lo. Anny suggestings for other fish with the 2 neon blue gouramis and the 6cory cats

8. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

As mentioned, I would not put two male dwarf gouramis in a 20g. Females are uncommon, but if you can find one, a pair can be done. Peppered cories require temperatures below 75F, I would go with some other cory species like C. aeneus with the Dwarf gourami.

9. OP
    OP
    Danthefishlover135

Ok so if I put 3 honey gouramis and 6 Cory's and other fish in a 20 it will be ok

10. Five 97

Yes, a trio of Honeys would work instead of the DG. I'd go with a warmer species like bronze or sterbai for the corys. What are the "other" fish are you thinking about?

11. OP
    OP
    Danthefishlover135

Are the honey gouromis dwaf?

I'm not sure what other fish. I'm open to suggestions

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2018
  12. Five 97

Honey gouramis stay small and could be considered dwarfs, but the common name 'dwarf gouramis' belongs to different species (Trichogaster lalius).

13. OP
    OP
    Danthefishlover135

Ok thank you

If I get panda Cory's is that fine?

14. Five 97

The suggestions that @Demeter gave would work ~ Cardinals or Black neons. Rummy-nose tetras can also work.
    No, Pandas also require temperatures below 75F.

15. OP
    OP
    Danthefishlover135

Ok, also do I have to get 6 sterba cats it pretty exspenexp on the website we're I get all my fish but I'll do it if I have to

Can platys work too? Or guppys

16. Five 97

Yes, I'd do at least six. I think you could add 3-4 male platies/guppies.

So, it would look something like this:

3x Honey gouramis (1 male/2 females)
    3-4x Male guppies OR platies
    6-8x Mid-dwelling schoolers (warmer species - mentioned in previous post)
    6-8x Sterbai cories

17. OP
    OP
    Danthefishlover135

Do the gouromis have to be 1 male, 2 female. Does it matter if it's 3 malie or 2 males and 1 female

Also has anyone been successful with buying fish online?

18. Five 97

I'd go with the 1:2 m/f ratio in your current tank size to avoid any potential aggression. I've had plenty of success ordering online, but it's very important to order from a reliable source. Otherwise, it's fairly simple business.

19. OP
    OP
    Danthefishlover135

Ok thanks

20. Five 97

NP. Trinsfish is great place to order fish & plants from, check them out. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice