Will This Ram Color Up?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Derek C, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Derek CNew MemberMember

5C3C4A29-F9CB-4534-87E6-7D8529322617.jpeg3DF775C7-4802-4120-BBEA-8D94995DDB12.jpegED319327-E650-4B5C-800B-039BA8C3C150.jpeg8D7E8294-107F-4EA1-BDAB-2313C99E0279.jpeg I saw these fish at my local petsmart and I was really intrigued. I have a 29 gallon planted tank and i was wondering if I could get any of these for it? The blue acara really got my attention- it was super bright blue (I didn’t take a picture of the actual fish :,( ) and I was wondering if I could have it without destroying my plants. If I can’t, can I have two Bolivian rams in there? If so, do you think these would color up? I don’t want gray Bolivian rams with little color around my tank. Something Vibrant would be really cool. Also- what other tankmates could I have if I got a ram? Thank you!

2. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Either of those guys will tear apart your plants (at least in my experience). My EBA's and Bolivians love to rip plants apart.

They SHOULD color up once theyre out of the stressful environment. Definitely do NOT get 2 unless you KNOW theyre male and female. They WILL fight, especially in a 29 gallon tank.

In a 29 gallon you could do 1 Ram, a small schooling fish that likes warm temps (Rasbora Hets) and a small school of Kuhli Loaches. Those Rams really like WARM water, like 84 is perfect, so finding compatible tank mates is a little tricky.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  3. skarWell Known MemberMember

I disagree with you on this one.

Bolivians like cooler temps about 77 I believe. They have done fine with plants in my experience.
    They will not get super colorful but.... they have some awesome personalities for fish.
    They seem to recognize you.

They will get reds, yellow and a tiny bit of blue.
    They stay on the smaller size around 3 inches.

And they are good for a community setup.

Never kept acars but I do support rams.
    Fantastic fish.

4. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Yes, you can keep Bolivians cooler, but in my experience they do better in warmer water. I keep mine at 82. And mine shred any plants I have with them. They literally tear apart my Amazon Swords, Dwarf Water Lettuce roots, Banana Plants, Java Ferns, etc. Ive stopped keeping plants with them because of this. Could just be my bad luck, but it's all the experience I have to go by.

5. coralbanditWell Known MemberMember

Acara will get way too big for a 29.
    The Bolivian won't color up to compare with a GBR but some still look nice .
    The Bolivian rams are a good choice [the proper one ] for those who don't want to keep their tank at 80-84f .

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  6. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

@DuaneV : You'te talking about GBR's in your post and later about Bolivians.
    Are you possibly mixing those two up?

7. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

No, I wrote GBR on accident in my first post. Just fixed it. I worked through til 7am, slept for 2 1/2 hours, woke up and got on here. I was a little foggy. lol

8. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

I think bolivian rams are stunning! Their colours are more subtle than german blues, but the males are just beautiful once they colour up (genetics probably has some play too though). Mine have never touched any of my plants, except for when they dig breeding holes but even then they didn't get dug up. They also do great in lower temps than GBR. Here's some pics of a male once he's coloured up.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice