Will This Philodendron Grow Emersed?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I wanted to grow some philodendron out of the back of a Fluval M90 we're converting into a freshwater setup. I bought it thinking it was Monstera deliciosa but upon further inspection it is not. The tag just says "Philodendron" and indoors it reaches 3-7' in width and height.
IMG_20180501_132647.jpg

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
aussieJJDude said:
Selloum or xanadu? Idk, not very good with Philodendrons..
It looks like several different species, should still be ok grown emmersed though, right?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Unpotted and crammed them into the back filter compartment until I can find a way to make them more appealing. Does anyone here think this will work, and does anyone have experience growing philodendrons in tanks?
IMG_20180507_171631.jpg

KirkyTurkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I do the same, but I have some media in with the roots so they have something to grab onto and keep upright, make sure to keep an eye on the roots because they will creep into the impeller and break your filter too!

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
KirkyTurkey said:
I do the same, but I have some media in with the roots so they have something to grab onto and keep upright, make sure to keep an eye on the roots because they will creep into the impeller and break your filter too!
This is Philodendron selloum or xanadu (not sure), think it will work?

I have some large ceramic bioballs I can clean and reuse as a media if you think that will work, they're about the size of walnuts. I was also thinking of placing shower caddies in to cradle the roots and support the plant.

KirkyTurkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think either way it should be fine. Philodendron is one of the better aquaponics plants for maintaining water quality, I doubt the species will be too different as long as it is a Philodendron which it definitely looks like

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
KirkyTurkey said:
I think either way it should be fine. Philodendron is one of the better aquaponics plants for maintaining water quality, I doubt the species will be too different as long as it is a Philodendron which it definitely looks like
Yeah, I have philos and pothos in all the freshwater systems at work, and lucky bamboo and aluminum plant in another. Glad to know it should do well.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom