Will this pH kill/make sick my fish and plants?

Isabella

I just wanted to ask everyone what you think of pH in my 75 gallon tank (tank specs are below in my signature). It is as high as 7.8 - 8.0 !!! And it is a freshwater tank, not some hardwater African Cichlid tank. Such pH would be perfect for African Cichlids, but not for other freshwater fish.

The reason my pH is so high is that my nutrient-rich substrate (for plant growth) raises it. All my other tanks are at a steady pH of 6.8 - 6.9, which is also my tap pH. The fish and plants seem fine so far, but do you think they could suffer some long-term effects in the future? I am so worried. This pH is NOT normal in a freshwater planted tank.

I think I can forget about adding German Blue Rams to my tank with such pH. Unbelievable.

Chief_waterchanger

As long as you don't want them to breed 8.0 is fine. (Would suggest more zebras for schooling behavior)

Isabella

As long as you don't want them to breed 8.0 is fine. (Would suggest more zebras for schooling behavior)

Chief, I am still stocking this tank. I will have a total of 6 Zebra Danios. Right now I am keeping 4 new Harlequin Rasboras in my 10 gallon Q tank for an observation period. (4 Zebra Danios will be bought and quarantined after the 4 Rasboras are transferred to the 75 gallon tank.) I am also thinking of perhaps increasing the numbers of Cherry Barbs, Harlequin Rasboras, and Zebra Danios to 8 I think of all 3 groups, Harlequins school most beautifully.

Chief, as weird as it is, so far, my Angelfish lay eggs about every 3 weeks in the 75 gallon tank! This is really really weird. Never heard of Angles breeding in a pH of 8.0.

Chief_waterchanger

Are the eggs viable? (Are you getting fry out of them?) They can lay eggs in 8.0 but its rare that the eggs would hatch viably due to amount of calcium the fish would have in its system.

Chief_waterchanger

I should probably have said breed productively, rather than just breed. ;D

Marc

Unless a fish is wild caught, it should adapt and live wonderfully in any unextreme pH. There are always exceptions, though fish as notoriously frail as Discus can live well in a tank of that pH.

The angels breeding should have been a clear sign. They love it!

COBettaCouple

I think the pH is alright.. we're running about 7.6-7.8 in ours here.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• beagle
  • pH
Replies
Views
jtjgg
  • Question
  • str8flxn
  • pH
Replies
Views
RayClem