Will this overstock my tank??

coob

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have a 20 gallon tank that is fully cycled and all my fish are doing very good....well except for my 2 mollies that died last week. I have never had any luck with mollies for some reason.

Anyway, after my first round of fish deaths, before I found this site and knew about the cycling process, I lost a few finned freinds and now I have a loner in my tank.

I have 1 male tri-color platy and was wondering if I would be overstocking my tank if I got him 2 female friends?

In my tank I have 6 zebra danio's, 5 neon tetras, 2 rainbow sharks, 2 "blueberry" tetras, 1 tri-color platy, and 2 algae eaters.

Thanks

Steve

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid your tank is already overstocked. Your sharks really need a bigger tank. They will get too large for your 20 gallon, and their growth will probably be stunted before you know it's a problem. Is is possible to get a larger tank like a 55 gallon for the sharks?

coob

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

My nephew just got a 55 gallon tank for his birthday. I will give the rainbows to hin once his tank has cycled.

I wanted to get a bigger tank when we bought the 20 but we live in an appartment atm and don't really have alot of room. Bigger tanks come next year when we buy a house!! ;D

Thanks

Steve

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good for you, the sharks will love the bigger tank.
Carol

coob

Reaction score
Hopefully they will be happy

And this way I already know what fish to get my nephew for his birthday! I don't have to worry about finding the time to go to the fish store and then spend hours looking at bigger tanks and different fish that would look good in my apartment

Thanks

Steve

smillermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
What type of algae eaters do you have? If it is a common pleco, they will get way too big for your tank. Try a dwarf breed or even a few ottocinclus, they are great algae eaters!

coob

Reaction score
smillermom said:
What type of algae eaters do you have?  If it is a common pleco, they will get way too big for your tank.  Try a dwarf breed or even a few ottocinclus, they are great algae eaters!
They were just labled as algae eaters at the LFS. The sales person told me they would be fine in my 20 gallon tank, but I'm not to sure (they also neglected to tell me about cycling the tank, sold me a 25 watt heater etc). I might get 2 otto's and give the ones I have now to my nephew with the rainbow sharks....I want the fish to be happy!

THanks

Steve

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom