Will this heater be to powerful for my 5G?

Taydee

Hi there!

I had recently rescued a betta a few months ago and he had been doing quite well! He is in a 5 gallon planted tank and currently does not use a heater because of the same reason I'm concerned about the heater I have now. Essentially, my apartment furnace had not been working for a couple of years-- and I am living in Canada. Meaning my room is usually the same temperature as it is outdoors, hot in the summer, insanely cold in the winter.
While he does not need a heater at the moment, considering how cold my room gets in the winter i decided to get an Eheim Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater 50W. This is typically made for heaters above 5 gallons, but I was recommended some more power to keep his tank warm when my room can be below freezing.
Now the only issue now is-- I'm getting a new furnace, so this isn't an issue anymore. I wont freeze and neither will my fish, probably.
Would it be wise to downgrade to the 25W instead? I dont want to cook my fish! I wanted a good heater I can rely on, so I would also take any other recommendations for a 5G tank as well. Thanks!

TClare

The 25W would have been ideal, but I think the 50 will be Ok, since it is thermostatically controlled it will switch off when the correct temperature is reached and only turn on again when it begins to drop. So it will heat up more quickly and will be off for more time.

Taydee

The 25W would have been ideal, but I think the 50 will be Ok, since it is thermostatically controlled it will switch off when the correct temperature is reached and only turn on again when it begins to drop. So it will heat up more quickly and will be off for more time.
good point! i want to get him into a 10gal when I have the space so it might be best to keep it for when I get one!

ruud

The answer depends on other factors as well. Having a hood or lid makes a major, major difference whether the amount of Watts can heat up the amount of gallons. And so does water flow; if the heat is distributed fast and evenly in your tank, than, all else being equal, less Watts is required.

Taydee

The answer depends on other factors as well. Having a hood or lid makes a major, major difference whether the amount of Watts can heat up the amount of gallons. And so does water flow; if the heat is distributed fast and evenly in your tank, than, all else being equal, less Watts is required.
At the moment I have a lid-- however by the time i need this heater i hope to have a frogbit & duckweed top (i got a portion yesterday) I also have second hand filter from walmart with a pretty low flow rate bc my betta is... a terrible swimmer. But it does the job while I wait to get something better for this 5 gal

ruud

You could use a small spray bar and have it directed towards the glass. Sounds a bit crazy, but this way the water is distributed fairly evenly without causing too much flow. You could place the heater next to the intake in this type of setup.

Alternatively, you could place two filters and use a sponge or mesh protector on the outlet, to create current on more than one location, but still with minimum flow. Again, I think I would place the heater next to the intake of one of the filters.

Taydee

You could use a small spray bar and have it directed towards the glass. Sounds a bit crazy, but this way the water is distributed fairly evenly without causing too much flow. You could place the heater next to the intake in this type of setup.

Alternatively, you could place two filters and use a sponge or mesh protector on the outlet, to create current on more than one locations, but still with minimum flow. Again, I think I would place the heater next to the intake of one of the filters.
oh yes!! the spray filters have been on my radar but I held off while waiting to get some top plants to slow down the flow, but I finally got my hands on them. I think I will place the heater by the intake anyway based on my aquascaping plans-- so i'm glad it's useful for heat distribution.

I think i might try and trade out a 50 for a 25-- but i could also one day use it when I get a larger tank as well.. hmm...

your advice is really helpful, thanks!

ruud

Why would you want to downgrade? If you set it at 77 degrees fahrenheit, then both heaters will accomplish this. The 50W only does it faster and then switches off again. So you are not really saving any money.

Taydee

Why would you want to downgrade? If you set it at 77 degrees fahrenheit, then both heaters will accomplish this. The 50W only does it faster and then switches off again. So you are not really saving any money.
yeah you're probably right... I've kept goldfish my whole life so I've never used a heater, especially in a tank this small, I guess I'm just a bit paranoid haha

Similar Aquarium Threads

• UnknownGuppyLover
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
  • Question
Replies
Views
pagoda
  • Question
  • blindfaith429