Will This Filter Provide Enough Biological Media? 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Bahewotab, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Bahewotab

BahewotabNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    I bought a hang on back filter for my small 10 gallon aquarium . I have a hang on back filter which have only space for two carbon plates. Its been sometime I need to replace the carbon with sponge. But the place is small. It can fit two 2 inch width and may be 5 inch length sponge vertically. I want to know will it hold enough beneficial bacteria for a fully loaded aquarium or I need to buy a different filter with more sponge. I bought it because I thought It will not brake my glass while hanging loaded with water. Guys tell me what to do?

2. Brizburk

BrizburkWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +437
    Experience:
    5 years
    What kind of filter is it and how many gallons is it rated for? I'd suggest not using carbon, you can replace the carbon with other types of media.

3. OP
    OP
    Bahewotab

Ratings:
    +3
    It's for 20 gallons and 340l/hr flow rate

4. Brizburk

BrizburkWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +437
    Experience:
    5 years
    I would think the filter is sufficient. I would replace the carbon with another type of media, a course sponge and a fine sponge would work. Just don't replace it all at once, doing so would kill your bb and cause you to loose your cycle. I stopped using HOBs so hopefully someone else can recommend what media to use, we all have our own ideas. I run canisters or sponge filters now. Much quieter

5. OP
    OP
    Bahewotab

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the suggestion. How much sponge do i need to fill to hold the BB so that I do not fall short on biological filtration as the space is less.

6. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,199
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Welcome to FishLore! I hope you enjoy the site

7. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,274
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    What exactly is the model of filter please?

8. OP
    OP
    Bahewotab

Ratings:
    +3
    Here is a pic of it link

Yeah sure. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2019
  9. Cichlidude

Ratings:
    +1,274
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    OK, yeah that is the same as a Marina S10. I would suggest getting the Marina S20 for a 10 gallon, I have one of these also. You can customize that filter here.

10. OP
    OP
    Bahewotab

Ratings:
    +3
    Tried similar to it water flew over. so now I replaced only the carbon plates places with sponge and left others empty for the water to flow.

11. Cichlidude

Ratings:
    +1,274
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Here is even a better p-i-m-p my filter for your exact filter! Uses Seachem Matrix too!

12. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,699
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    A HOB (hang on back) filter should not break the glass on an aquarium made for fish. If you have one made for reptiles the glass may be thinner but one made specifically for fish should be strong enough not to break so easily.

At one point in my fish keeping journey I had an aqua-tech 40/60 on a 10 gallon tank. It was almost as wide as the tank. It never even crossed my mind enough to be concerned about it breaking the glass.

13. OP
    OP
    Bahewotab

Ratings:
    +3
    As much as I like to admit that the glass would not break the sheer belief of the havoc of water in room if it brakes scares me. They are also making it thinner to make the green tint less obvious. Thanks again.

14. WTFish?

WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3,037
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Aside from the floss and/or sponge, I always throw in a plastic pot scrubbie too. They’re like 3 for $1.

15. OP
    OP
    Bahewotab

Ratings:
    +3
    I appreciate your help. I have tried that and the water flow is decreased and lower/interior part of the filter does not get enough flow and oxygen(researched and came to know enough circulation and contact is required for the BB to grow) That's why I skipped the idea. Again can a small piece of sponge grow enough beneficial Bacteria if I cycle the tank for more days and then add the fish?

Do you plan for proper water flow through it like putting it in front of water outlet or just toss it to the bottom?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2019
  16. Cichlidude

Ratings:
    +1,274
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If water is flowing through the entire filter, it is working. There is no reason why either of the 2 setups shown will not work. I have the Marina S20 with sponges in the first compartment and the other three full of 3 bags of Matrix. Worked just fine.

17. WTFish?

WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3,037
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Well my fluval is set up differently than yours, it’s basically in the middle where the carbon use to be.

18. OP
    OP
    Bahewotab

Ratings:
    +3
    Okay great.

19. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,699
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Bacteria grows on every surface in the tank. A lot of it grows on the filter media. Bacteria tends to grow stronger where water is moving. I would think the colony of bacteria in the tank would be more abundant under the outflow of your HOB filter than it would be in the still part of the tank.

It is difficult to say whether or not one sponge will hold enough. A lot of that depends on what you stock this tank with. I did want to point out that water doesn't have to run through the filter media super fast. In fact slower is better. Slower gives the bacteria more time to process the ammonia and grow more bacteria.

Just for general information. How are you cycling this tank? I am assuming you are doing a fishless cycle. What is your ammonia source?

20. OP
    OP
    Bahewotab

Ratings:
    +3
    Its fish less cycle and I am dropping expired fish food. You said you had a 10 gallon tank. Can I know the glass thickness of the tank?