Will this cabinet hold my 75 gallon Aquarium?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Candice00, Jul 16, 2015.

1. C

Candice00 New Member Member

I'm wondering if my cabinet should hold the weight of my 75 gallon aquarium, which I would expect to be around 700 pounds once full of water, substrate, etc. My cabinet is sturdy, I believe most of it is made of plywood with a veneer. The stand is 54" long and 18" in depth,the legs run the depth of the stand at either end and are about 2" wide. I'm mainly concerned because the tank is 48" long which means there's no real support at the ends. Also, the tank is 18 and 1/8" so the tank frame over hangs the table by about 1/16" on the back and the front of the stand. I'm thinking of putting supports inside the cabinet where the tank ends sit on top of the cabinet for extra support. Here are some pictures to help give a idea of what I'm seeing...View attachment 173236View attachment 173238View attachment 173227
    Thanks a bunch for any help or ideas anyone has, Candice

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Hello and welcome to Fishlore!

I also have a 75 gallon tank. The tank itself weighs about 150 lbs. I read somewhere water weighs about 8-10 lbs per gallon so figure 750 lbs for the water. You'll need anywhere from 75-100 lbs of substrate. So total weight is going to be about 850-1000 lbs.

By the way, none of my pictures are showing on my IPhone.
    Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. babynemo

babynemo Valued Member Member

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

It's not, the water pressure at those points would be too much to make the stand collapse.

5. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Glass tanks MUST have all four corners supported when they're full, otherwise the glass could begin to crack, the seals could break, and the tank could start to leak.

I don't know how much your water weighs per gallon, but RO water weighs 7lb per gallon. Factor in substrate and decor, you have a heavy tank. It probably needs its own stand.

6. OP
    OP
    C

Candice00 New Member Member

Thanks a lot for everyone's input, I was feeling a bit insecure about the cabinet and your opinions sealed its fate:( . On the bright side, I have a "new" TV stand. The hunt is on....or build:) . Candice

7. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

Don't take the risk. You can DIY a stand for pretty cheap that would be strong enough to hold 10 75 gallon aquariums.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice