Will This Be Overstocking?

1. n

nick1111 New Member Member

Hello. First time posting. Everything I have read though has been very helpful. I got a new tank and have been cycling it for 2.5 weeks. I plan on getting my water tested next Wednesday and will hopefully get fish then. I have a 10 gallon tank.

My plan right now is to get a few male elephant ear guppies. I also eventually would like some Cory catfish. Would 4/5 male guppies and 3/4 Cory catfish be too much in a 10 gallon? I also will get a few moss balls. Thank you for the advice!

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Well Known Member Member

3-4 male elephant ears and 4-6 pygmy cory's would be fine
    it also depends on your filtration

3. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

I'm no stocking expert but i do know the guppies will be fine but the cory cats will not be...a 10g is too small and they r schooling fish which need at least 8 minimum (some ppl claim 6 but considering they school in the thousands i prefer more)

4. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

The pygmy cories need a bigger tank as they are very active fish.

I recommend this instead
    4 guppies
    3-4 Asian stone catfish
    6 amano shrimp

5. etkelly22

etkelly22 Valued Member Member

I agree with the above posters about the cories, they are extremely active, and love to have company.

6. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Not overstocked. But I see some stocking issues. All cories need a minimum of 20 gallons and a minimum of 6 of their own species. You can do the stock BottomDweller suggested above.

7. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore

8. k

kattiq New Member Member

I used a website stocking calculator called AqaAdvisor it helped me tremendously when stocking my 29g. Won't let me post link unfortunately.

9. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't trust Aqadvisor 100%. It's mostly inaccurate.

10. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

Aqadvisor isn't very accurate unfortunately

11. Donnerjay

Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Aqadvisor is a great place to start.
    To start. You can plug in all kinds of fish, read any warning comments, learn about tank size, and more.

Then come here and get some recommendations.

Research, research, research!

12. N

Natalya Well Known Member Member

I put in 5 farlowellas in 38g tank in aqadviser (it did not have gracilis, so I used acus) and it told me I am already overstocked %\ now I do not know if it is right and I should get a 50g just for farlowellas (they are still juvenile now) or if aqadviser is wrong. And I wanted kuhli loaches and forktail blue eyes on top of falowellas!

13. OP
    OP
    n

nick1111 New Member Member

Thank you for the help! Sad that corys aren't possible. Don't have room for a bigger tank and when I saw them I had my heart set on them. Will do research on Asian stone catfish.