Will This Be Overstocked?

BettaTyphoon

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello! I'm pretty new to the bigger tank hobby as I used to only have bettas. I finally have my 20 gallon tank cycled and going. I currently have 4 male guppies and 3 platys in the tank. I would like to get 5 zebra danios to have a little school but it would leave nothing on the bottom of the tank. I really love albino corys but everywhere I read says they should be in groups of 3. I feel like that would probably be pushing the limits of a 20 gallon though. Could I do 2 of corys? Or would the danios be ok in a group of 3 and then have 3 corys? Thoughts?

Logan.t.Foster

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What filter do you have? Also, it is important to have a bubbler in your tank, as it will add oxygen to you tank and allow you too keep a lot more fish. Is your tank cycled?

OP
BettaTyphoon

BettaTyphoon

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have the Aqueon Quiet Flow 20 since it says its good for up to 30 gallons. I thought it would be better to have a stronger filter than required to keep the water cleaner. And yes the tank is cycled. I don't have a bubbler but I could easily get one, especially if it will allow me to have the danios AND the corys lol.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The temps don’t overlap.
Zebra danios like water a bit cooler than the other fish.
Any other schooling fish ideas?

Logan.t.Foster

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BettaTyphoon said:
What about candy cane or bleeding heart tetra? I heard they can be a bit nippy toward guppies though?
Try not to get any fish that may be aggressive. You will regret it later if the fish attacks others. Try to get a bubbler, it will be great for your fish, and if you ever want to get plants, it will be a big help. you could do two Cory catfish, they are great fish( I have some myself). I have 4 zebra danios, two Dalmatian mollies, 2 spotted Cory catfish, 2 female Bettas, 5 snails, and 5 shrimp. I have absolutely NO ammonia, and NO nitrite, in a twenty gallon tank. You will be fine.

New Threads