Will this be a good home for a Betta?

LICfish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes definitely don't leave that tank empty after all your hard work ;D You could always have another betta or a dwarf puffer (those little guys are so interesting... my favourites at home), in addition to a community tank I have 3 tanks for a betta, dwarf puffers and a community tank, all of which I got within a matter of months! Multiple tank syndrome is incurable.

OP
N

Nancy Drew

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My 5 gallon tank is filled, and slightly redecorated. Now I need to find regular ammonia so I can cycle it! I keep finding lemon scented ammonia, but that isn't going to help! I want to add a new Betta but the kids are not on board. They tell me the Betta will die :'(. We have been to the LFS a few times, and I've pointed out the Bettas (in teeeeeeeeny cups but at least they are changed every day) and pointed out how clean their water is. The LFS people told me the Bettas in their store are hand-picked by the owner. I do trust them more than Petco/Petsmart. I've found so many dead fish at both of those stores . Once I was at a Petsmart (one that has since closed, thank goodness) and found a dead gerbil! I had to tell someone. I have told them about dead fish too, even before I became interested in fish. Anyway, the LFS at least pays careful attention to their Bettas. I have yet to see a dead one in a cup there. I have yet to see any dead fish there, in fact. They do advise poorly ("Bettas don't need big homes, they live in puddles!!" or "Sure you can put 6 Tetras and a few others in a 5 gallon!") but they at least take care of the fish in their store. Unlike my Petco where I have to flag someone down for help in the fish section.

Anyway, if another Betta doesn't last in the 5 gallon, I'll do either ADFs or a dwarf puffer. I just want to try one more Betta. My brother had one in the worst conditions (tiny bowl, fed one pellet every other day) and it lived 2 years. He keeps telling me I am overthinking Betta ownership.

Big news!! We just bought a bigger tank, too, a 15 gallon! I hope to have a nice community of fish in a planted tank. Just gotta decide on some decorations, and cycle it. Hopefully I can cycle the 5 gallon then use that to expedite cycling the 15 gallon.

Yep, multiple tank syndrome has hit hard!!!

yallyall1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
MTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss...

You could put some Celestial pearl danios in there. They are very small fish, yet are very pretty, which your children would love as well!

Another Betta would work too (of course), but your children might not like it... I agree about the LFS trying to overcrowd small tanks/selling 1/2 gallon tanks and naming it ''a betta home''.

The puffer would be interesting, Ive never seen one in real life as they are banned for sale in Australia... but Ive heard that they can be very cool to keep!

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
well so what if any of the other fish/frogs die? are you just not going to have any because the kids don't like it when fish die? not just bettas die ya know I don't know how old your kids are....but my daughter is almost 5, and has seen a few of our fish die. she's sad.....but I told her it just happens sometimes and that's that. she understands, as much as a 5 year old can.

but anyway, I would think it's as much your decision to keep fish, as it is your kids, and/or husband's. if you want a betta, then get one, take care of it, and hopefully it'll be healthy and live its life. I take care of my fish, but sometimes things just happen....much like with humans, or animals, or anything.

good luck on the 15g. it's always fun to plan a new tank

OP
N

Nancy Drew

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh believe me, I know that other fish will die as well. But they now associate Bettas with early death. That's just how my kids are. They have warmed up to the idea and are ok with getting another Betta. We've been to the LFS many times now to look at all the fish, and they've agreed to look at the Bettas, and talk about which ones look nice. The tank is cycling, so we still have time for them to warm up to getting another one. Then we will have our community tank, too.

New Threads