Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So, here is Jerry:

1.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

I went and bought a heater and thermometer, and a plastic log cave. The log cave had a bunch of fake plants on it, which I cut off. Good thing I bought it, because Jerry has already done a few tours through it, and once when I left him alone I came back and found him hanging out in there.

There was this other betta in the store that was absolutely gorgeous and I really wanted him too . He just seemed to freak out when I picked up his cup, and he didn't seem too cool with us looking at him. I thought he might be too stressed out in our house. But I can't stop thinking about him!!! But I can't buy another tank setup! .

I've tried to convince my brother to go buy him, since he has kept a betta before. But he doesn't seem convinced, lol.

firemouthfreak

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Nancy Drew said:
There was this other betta in the store that was absolutely gorgeous and I really wanted him too . He just seemed to freak out when I picked up his cup, and he didn't seem too cool with us looking at him. I thought he might be too stressed out in our house. But I can't stop thinking about him!!! But I can't buy another tank setup! .

I've tried to convince my brother to go buy him, since he has kept a betta before. But he doesn't seem convinced, lol.
LOL these are the symptoms of a disease yet to come.. MTS

Tigerfishy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lovely betta, congrats!!

Did the tank cycle first? I know you said you wanted to cycle it, but it seems like an awfully short time for it to do so, unless I missed something sorry...

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wondered the same thing tigerfishy.....about the tank being cycled. or maybe she used tss?

but he's a really pretty boy I have a CT and their fins are so lovely

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
did you get the log at Wal-Mart? I have the small, tunnely log (also both sizes of the Hollow Tree Stump, but not for my betta) and he loves it so much! he likes to sit at the front of it with his head poking out and watch me XD and he likes to sleep on the big round leaves by the surface <3 he's so cute.

I love that blue! he's very pretty! I was looking at 3 Royal Blue Veil Tails at PetSmart the other day, but mom wouldnt let me get them T_T

OP
N

Nancy Drew

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know, I was going to cycle, and I feel awful for not doing it. I have a long story full of excuses, but none of it matters really. I feel really bad, really I do. I do have the API water test kit, and I've tested it before Jerry entered the tank, and I've tested it again, and all is well right now. I'll monitor it closely and keep watching him. That part isn't difficult, I can't STOP watching him!! Neither can my cats, lol!

Akari, I intend to get the floating log thing, is that what you have? The current log thing is anchored in the bottom of the tank, but I think Jerry would like a floating one too since he doesn't have anywhere to hang out at the top of the tank right now. He does love swishing through the grassy plants, though. Man this is a spoiled fishy already! And thanks for the compliments on him.

I'm still thinking about the other fish :-\. It seems silly to get another tank, right? Ack! I have 3 cats, and now a fish. I don't want to be Crazy Pet Lady!!!

Tigerfishy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just be sure to change about 50% of the water every day using a water conditiooner like Prime or Amquel+ that will detox the ammonia for 24 hours until your tank properly cycles. It can take longer when cycling with a fish as you have to do constant water changes until the water parameters get to 0, 0 & under 20 (Ammonia, nitrites & nitrates respectively...).

Cycling with fish can cause lasting damage to them, this is your damage limitation schedule!!

marina3

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to fish-insanity!!! That is what bettas do to your brain...You can't stop thinking of their little faces on those tiny cups!!!
And although we know about the cycling without fish, I understand (specially having kids begging you for Mr Betta) not being able to wait, but now, the price to pay is constant check of water parameters and daily water changes!!! I know, is a pain, but you must do it! How long have you had your friend?? Maybe is not too late to add TetraSafe??? I have never used it but members here swear by it!!! If you are interested, you can start a New Thread asking about it...(adding the TetraSafe to a tank with recently added fish)
Good luck!! Your boy is very handsome!!!

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nancy Drew said:
Akari, I intend to get the floating log thing, is that what you have? The current log thing is anchored in the bottom of the tank, but I think Jerry would like a floating one too since he doesn't have anywhere to hang out at the top of the tank right now. He does love swishing through the grassy plants, though. Man this is a spoiled fishy already! And thanks for the compliments on him.
It's not the floating one, its the Wal-Mart Brand (I think) 1/2 log thingy, that when you put it in, it looks like you have the bottom 1/2 stuck in the gravel.

And you're welcome! ^_^

This thing!

P.S. Don't mind Cornelious, he doesn't like rectangular objects lol XD

Attachments

Charlemagne

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Jerry is SO pretty! I really like him! I have the same log cave as Akari, and my betta likes it too, but he's busy most of the time flaring at his neighbor.

OP
N

Nancy Drew

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, Jerry didn't make it .

Maybe I'm in denial, but I don't think the water was responsible. I tested it regularly and my levels were all 0 (maybe my API tests aren't working?). Petco tested once and said my ammonia was a little high, but I did a partial water change/gravel vac later that day. He developed a white fluffy patch that appeared and disappeared, then overnight it took over . He had a stringy "beard" and it was on his eyes and near his tail. I was doing partial water changes, using an ammonia neutralizer, but it didn't work. I tried Betta Revive and bought antibiotics from a LFS. When I moved him to the "hospital" I knew he wouldn't make it. He just sort of flopped down .

One of my kids is devastated. Neither of them wants another Betta, though they do want another fish eventually. I've explained that this time we need to wait a long time, and they are OK with that. I kind of hope they change their minds about not wanting a Betta. The LFS has some Bettas that look much nicer than the Petco ones. Their cups were all perfectly clean, anyway.

Oh yeah, I went to the same Petco where Jerry came from, and the pretty Betta I left behind was dead in its cup. So were about 75% of the Bettas there. That's kind of why I don't think it was the water that killed him. I kind of think he was already sick. Again, maybe I'm in denial, but either way I plan to cycle this time, just to be sure.

Thanks for the comments on Jerry. He might not have been with us long, but we all did certainly love him.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

So sorry that you lost your Betta. Sounds like it may have been Columnaris. From my understanding it can be fatal quickly at times.

I'm glad that you've decided to cycle the tank first. Although I don't feel this was the issue with your fish it will surely help the next one to have a cycled tank

I wouldn't be surprised if the fish was ill prior to you purchasing it.

Best of luck with the cycle and please keep us posted.

Ken

Bad Wolf

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The white puffy stuff sounds like a bacteria infection thing (just a guess from what I have read once), and I've seen that stuff on my goldfish, who died from that a few weeks ago.

He was a beautiful fish, I'm sorry for your loss : (

Tigerlily

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So sorry you lost him. Jerry was a handsome boy. It does sound as though he was ill when you got him.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
sorry you lost jerry......I just lost (another) cory to something similar. this little white fluffy puff ball thing starts, then takes over and seems to eat away at the fish. it either started on the whiskers/face, or the fins. it was pretty fast. I tried treating with antI fungal, but that didn't do it. by the time I started with antibiotics, it was too late.

well, you could get another betta just for you! since you have the tank and all. it shouldn't go empty....all your hard work.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
oh no! that's terrible! one of my fish had that and he didnt make it either. you really have to catch it early, or meds won't help at all.

I don't like getting Bettas at PetCo, but they have so many variety, where PetSmart only has Veils male and female (just marked as 'Betta') , and male Crowntails. but they take much better care of them (tho its still not even considered 'good' care, to me.) then PetCo does. Sadly tho, I would rather get my Bettas (and any other fish) from the chain stores here then any of the local ones.

LICfish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry to hear about your loss. I've also lost a fish to similar symptoms.

I have the exact same tank which I used for dwarf puffer first (another fish that can be housed in a 5 gallon alone) and it is now home to a betta (Yoda). It looks like you've made a really nice home for a betta and I'm sure it'll work out better next time. Good luck!

OP
N

Nancy Drew

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks, everyone.

We are still figuring out what to do next. I would love to do a community tank, but I'd need a bigger tank. And I'm not sure where I'd put that.

well, you could get another betta just for you! since you have the tank and all. it shouldn't go empty....all your hard work.
Enabler!

But that is definitely something to consider.

I don't like getting Bettas at PetCo, but they have so many variety, where PetSmart only has Veils male and female (just marked as 'Betta') , and male Crowntails. but they take much better care of them (tho its still not even considered 'good' care, to me.) then PetCo does. Sadly tho, I would rather get my Bettas (and any other fish) from the chain stores here then any of the local ones.
The Petco I went to apparently is horrible about their Bettas . Who knew. I stopped in at Petsmart a few days ago, to buy Jerry his floating log, and their Bettas were in clean cups with blue water (medicated). Most of them were swimming around and rather alert. At Petco the other day most were dead in cups of filthy water . Now, my LFS (which I just discovered the day Jerry died) has Bettas in teeny tiny cups, but they change the water every day. All of them looked quite healthy. they did have them out in tiny tanks too, which was just depressing. I mean, they were beautifully decorated, but so tiny! And the guys who work there want me to overcrowd my tank, which is so annoying. I mean, I think for the most part they know their stuff, but maybe just about larger tanks.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
glad to be an enabler whenever I can I have 3 bettas and they are all something I enjoy very much. so personable. there are so many colors, so many types.....all waiting to do their charming little wiggle dance for you!

if i'm at a lps/lfs, and I see dead fish anywhere, tanks, bowls etc, I will tell someone. I know employees have more to do than just stare in each tank for an hour....but still.....they have to feed the fish right? why not just look to see if things are how they should be. and this applies to a huge chain store, as well as a unique specialty store.

New Threads