Will this be a good home for a Betta?

Nancy Drew

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Remembering Jerry, and moving on

Hi, my kids and I are starting a tank and we have decided to get a Betta fish. We set up the tank last night (OK, *I* set the tank up and they watched me ) and are waiting to cycle it before getting a Betta.

We didn't set it up with a Betta in mind, though, we had planned to just get some random fish but after reading I realized the tank wasn't big enough for most fish communities. We have a 5 gallon hex, and from what I've read it should be a good home for a Betta. I just don't know if we have set it up well for one. Does a Betta need more hiding places than this? I know the plants will grow, so that will help, but should I buy a bigger plant now so it is there? I am getting a thermometer today, and a small heater too. Again, I didn't think we were getting a Betta when I bought things, so I didn't buy those.

Any suggestions are welcome. I also plan to get a test kit so I have some idea about what's going on in the cycle.

(click on photo to enlarge)

514.jpg

Last edited:

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore!!

It looks like a fabooo tank for a betta ...and congrats on a fishless cycle!! just keep an eye on the baby for a bit as when they come from a cup (if you get one that way) they arent very strong swimmers for a couple weeks...if you find him/her struggling, just lower the water for a lil bit of time otherwise, goodluck finding (or he/she will find you!) your new addition!

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Looks great! I'm pretty sure your betta will be fine with a 5gallon, but consider upgrading to a 10 gallon, he'll love it much more in a 10 gallon

Oh and Welcome to Fishlore!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
my bettas love their 3 and 5g tanks just fine I dont think an upgrade is needed

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I keep bettas in 2.5 gallon tanks and they are happy. I agree with shawnie that no upgrade is needed. A betta would be very happy in that tank. Betta's are very fun and have a lot of personality, I think you and your kids will enjoy having one a lot. Just be careful, fish tanks are addictive. I started with a betta last august and now i have a newly cycled 55 gallon sitting in my living room.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Consider this, Fish like lots of room, an upgrade would be nice for the Betta, as I keep mine in a 10 gallon and he gets a lot more swimming space than he does in a 5 gallon.

Nancy Drew

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks everyone For now this will be all we can manage, tank-wise, but believe me I am already envious of those of you with larger tanks. I'll probably always have a little tank envy .

Another question, I posted pretty much this same post on another forum (I thought maybe no one would be around on a holiday weekend) and someone suggested that the kitchen, where the tank is, might not be the best place because the noise and activity might scare the betta. I chose the kitchen area (the tank is actually on the pass-through/breakfast bar) because that's the easiest place for us to access, least likely spot for it to get pushed over, etc. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen and dining room, as do my kids, so I figured the fish would have lots of opportunity for interaction. I don't have any appliances near the tank, and it isn't like we are a loud and boisterous bunch. Just me and 2 kids (and 3 cats, that's another story!!!). So does it sound like this will be OK?

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't think placement will be an issue, just watch the betta's behavior. I also see no need for anything larger than a 5gal for a betta. Tank looks great.

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome to Fish Lore! That looks like an AWESOME home for your betta! I'm so glad you researched and found out the tank size requirements and about the nitrogen cycle! Congratulations!!!

Tigerlily

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've got three betta tanks (four bettas, one oto) in my kitchen They seem to enjoy the activity and usually watch me whenever I'm nearby... "pellet hope" dies hard for a betta, no matter how well fed they are. LOL

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Your tank looks great, I think a betta would be very happy in there. Bettas love to be the center of attention (at least mine sure does) so your location sounds good. I have mine in the kitchen also, that is where he gets seen the most. Of course, it also means we have to resist a lot of begging....

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yeah, Betta's are like scaley puppies XD dont fall for the puppy eyes! its the worst thing for them lol. they like all kindas of food tho, like brine shrimp and fry (guppies is what mine gets, the luck little boy) and pellets and tropical and betta flakes. just remember they only need a couple of bite to fill up =)

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hi, i have that same tank with a hmpk male in it. which means he a plakat type of betta, with a short tail. i think because he does have a short tail, it is easier for him to get around the current, and to the top for air.....which bettas need to breathe. i have a little flower pot in mine....which i got at home depot. he likes poking around in there. also, some taller, broad leaf plants would be good....since bettas like to rest on those.

bettas are a lot of fun, and addicting, i have 3. have fun and post a pic of the new boy (or girl)

PS. mine is in the kitchen also, and he loves seeing me and begging all the time lol

Last edited:

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi thar!

Lovely tank, your betta will love that ornament. I have a bridge and he lives sitting on top or hiding underneath it

I have a betta in the kitchen, right by the sink. Mine absolutely loves it. He goes crazy whenever someone goes into the kitchen, dancing his little heart out. Then when you go up close he sits and stares at you waiting to see what you'll do. He's always trying to get a look at what we're doing while cooking. Only issue is, sometimes when cooking the kitchen gets hot so I just put some specially made ice in his tank to keep him cool. He likes pushing it around with his face too

Grats, goodluck and post pics when you get a fishie!

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think ANY betta would love that tank!!!!! Great Job!!!!! I have one in the kitchen also.....he loves it!!!!!!Well I think he does....hes always poking around when were in there

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would love that tank if I were a betta A very nice little set up it is, good size too Make sure you post pictures when you buy one!

redlessi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think its a great tank for a betta............Just remember Bettas are like potato chips, you cant have just one.

Enjoy

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think a betta would be very happy in that tank. It looks fabulous!

4 out of my 5 bettas are in my kitchen. They love to interact with us.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom