Will this aquarium/filter/hood setup work?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by rjone15, Mar 24, 2010.

1. r

rjone15 New Member Member

Decided to get back into the fish aquarium hobby after a few years (well 10 years lol) just now. My aunt and I used to have oscars which made for most of the household/setup/cleaning work done by her. I am basically starting over from scratch, so I guess you can call me clueless.

I was planning on getting another oscar and maybe just another fish or 2 to keep him company. This is what I have so far.

75 gallon Aqueon aquarium (75E 48x18x20)
    2xAquaclear 70 filters (filters 50-70gallons each)
    1xAqueon 75 Versa-Top (contains 2 complete hinged sections)

The thing is, I bought the top from a different store because PetCo didnt have any tops that would fit the aquarium. This top fits the 75,90, and 110x frames which is exactly what I have. Will this top allow me to put the 2 filters in with ease?

I wasnt able to get the whole setup today becaue it wouldnt fit in my car along with PetCo not being able to hold stuff (even if i pay for it, ugh). So I basically had to get the aquarium today so they wouldnt sell it.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!!!!

2. OP
    OP
    r

Kind of forgot to ask if they will be able to jump out of the back with 2 filters and this 2 piece top?

Also, what type of lamp/light should I get?

Going back tomorrow to get the rest of the stuff.

3. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fislore. :;hi2

I can't comment about the hood & wether or not the filters will fit because I'm not familiar with that exact hood. The advice I can offer is to keep just the Oscar by itself in a 75gal tank. Adding anything else is just going to make it very hard to maintain good water quality. There would also be great potential for aggression issues given the confined space & the temperamant of most Oscars. I would also consider the tank under filtered. I'm no fan of Aquaclear HOB filters. I think you would be better served by a cannister filter. You would have much more filtration capacity as well as you wouldn't need to worry about wether or not the filters would fit. If you can I advise you to return the HOB's & get a good canister filter. Oscars produce huge amounts of waste & you would be gratefull for the extra filtration capacity. If your worried about the Oscar jumping out, get a couple of glass lids to sit on the top of the tank. That will stop the Oscar being able to jump up into the hood. You can weigh the glass lids down with a couple of heavy rocks or containers of water.

As for lighting I think a standard flourescent fitting & tube will serve you best. You won't be growing plants with an Oscar so having high intensity & the correct spectrum isn't critical. All you need to worry about is that you have enough light to see the fish by & that the effect of the tube is something that looks good to you.

4. OP
    OP
    r

2 of those filters isnt enough for 1 fish?

5. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

IMO, no. Oscars produce a massive amount of waste. You could do it but you would have to do more frequent water changes to maintain good water quality. Canisters are the way to go with big messy fish like these guys.

6. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I completely agree on the canister suggestion. I am, however, a fan of Aquaclears on smaller tanks. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice