Will they fight during breeding

Fishkeeping7777

So I don’t know if this is too similar to one another threads
but I have a male Betta and I’m planning to get a female I have everything to breed them but I heard they will kill each other I got them as pets not for breeding the only reason I consider it is because I have everything filters heaters tanks I have a 40 gallon breeder I can use as a grow out tank But I as I got them as pets I really don’t want them to die of course and this is my first time ever
breeding any type of fish on purpose

Of course I know they’re fighting fish but I’m talking about for only breeding purposes not for you no Tank mates

I know to put the female in something like a jar or a mesh cage or breeder box while she gets used to the male in the male gets used to her

But I heard sometimes when you let her out the male or she will just kill each other

So I don’t know

Demeter

If you are unsure then don't do it. Breeding them on a whim is not a good idea, best to keep them as just pets and not breeders.

Bettas are not the easiest fish to breed nor raise. You say you have everything you need but do you have live foods to feed the fry? They will not accept liquid or powdered foods, I use vinegar eels, micro worms, paramecium and baby brine shrimp to feed my tiny fry. Do you have lots of spare .5-1gal containers you can keep the males in while also keeping them the ideal 78F and keep up with at least 3 times weekly water changes? Do you have a place to sell/give away all the possible fry you raise up? Keep in mind low quality (the average pet store quality) bettas are very hard to find homes for. If you answer no to any of the above then I suggest you find another species to breed. Rainbows, BN plecos, rice fish, etc are all much easier and less complicated to breed, plus they are easier to sell.

As for them killing each other, I've never had them do that. Yes the male usually rips a few chunks of fin and sometimes scales off the female but no deaths resulting from it. The male will chase and nip at the female for some time before she gives in and they will breed. Once they are done breeding the male will chase away the female, this is when you remove her. Breeding can take 1-3 days, sometimes their courtship takes and extra day. Ideally it should be courtship and introduction on the first day and then spawning on the second.

Fishkeeping7777

Did not know they need life food

But other than that I can get the containers I don’t mind the water changes on my smaller tanks I do water changes as well as
Often

I have tons of places I have been thinking to sell or give them away

but I don’t have room for any Plecos because I was just going to be a small breeding project
I don’t know what a rice fish is and never heard of them before I do have guppies but I have all males and I don’t want babies every month plus the tank is pretty stocked it’s only a 10 gallon

FoldedCheese

Sounds like a terrible idea.

Fishkeeping7777

So is there any suggestions for a small breeding project

FoldedCheese

Why do you want to breed fish? Just curious.

Fishkeeping7777

Not as a business just as like a breeding project or something like that to be honest I don’t really know it was just a thought I have some interest

Cue

Not as a business just as like a breeding project or something like that to be honest I don’t really know it was just a thought I have some interest
Not a fish, but if you want to recommend messing around with genetics, I’d recommend isopods. They are easy to care for if done correctly and don’t take up much room. You can have one or multiple colonies. You can also have pure strains or mixed morph strains. The options are endless! They’re also very cute :)

Fishkeeping7777

I was thinking of that well my parents will not let me have any bug in the house

Fishkeeping7777

Any fish i have 1
Ghost shrimp
Looking to sell the babies of the fish or give them away so shrimp won’t be a good option especially how sensitive they are

Kzza

I started with breeding platys. If you start with a livebearer, its a lot easier cause they give birth to live young.

Fishkeeping7777

I started with breeding platys. If you start with a livebearer, its a lot easier cause they give birth to live young.
I was thinking of that I have some guppies I can braid I just had to get a few females I’m trying to think of places I can sell them

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Truckjohn
Replies
Views
FoldedCheese
Replies
Views
AquaCaitlin
Replies
Views