Will they be ok together??

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by ant105, Mar 28, 2010.

1. a

ant105 Valued Member Member

Hi everyone,

Quick question will 2 perc clowns be ok if i add three yellowtail blue damsels ive heard there best to keep in a three rather then a two???

Thanks guys!

2. s

smileyfish Valued Member Member

the idea of a group of three is because naturally clownfish, damsels, etc. stay in groups that are divisible by three. So do you already have the clowns? If so you already know that being in a group that isnt divisble by three really doesnt matter, otherwise i'd say that from my knowledge it's ok. And also how big is the tank?

Ignoring the size of the tank i dont see why that should be a problem...
    But obviously your tank isnt the ocean, so as you dont overstock the tank it really shouldnt matter.

3. locoyo386

locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

I am going to assume that the tank is big enough and that the clowns are true perc. The damsels are aggressive in general, I find that the yellow tail is one of the least aggressive when placed with other damsels, thus being with true perc., they should be fine. Mostlikely you will see aggression when they reach around 3". The damels are not really shoaling fish, thus the number of them is really not important when you are considering that.The perc's in general will not fair well in pairs or groups unless they are a pair, mated. If they are mated pair than they will be fine, but can also become more aggressive.

4. OP
    OP
    a

ant105 Valued Member Member

Ok thanks the tank is 170 litres .. i think i may go for 3 Yellowtails then and one more centre piece fish

thanks for your help

5. locoyo386

locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

In that size of tank, you will be OK with the 5 fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice