Will these plants grow on gravel?

Chiasmodon

I was planning to change my substrate from white sand to dark-colored gravel because I believe that white sand are causing calcium deposits on plant leaves in my tank (because they have calcium carbonate) and silica that promotes diatom growth.

Will these plants grow on gravel (tiny size)

C. Wendtii (Red and Green)
Water wisteria
Anubias nana
Anubias barteri
hygrophila corymbosa stricta
Tall Leaf Sagitarria
C. aponogetifolia

FishDin

The anubias can grow on the substrate. The others can grow in the substrate.

86 ssinit

You’ll need at least an inch of substrate. I go with an inch in the front and 2-3” in the back. The anubias needs it larger root above the gravel. Most people attach it to wood or rocks. The westeria sometimes grows better when floating. The rest will need to have their roots buried in the substrates. Next you’ll need good lighting and some liquid ferts for good growth. The aponogeton is a seasonal plant. Grows for about 6months and then needs a rest period.

Chiasmodon

You’ll need at least an inch of substrate. I go with an inch in the front and 2-3” in the back. The anubias needs it larger root above the gravel. Most people attach it to wood or rocks. The westeria sometimes grows better when floating. The rest will need to have their roots buried in the substrates. Next you’ll need good lighting and some liquid ferts for good growth. The aponogeton is a seasonal plant. Grows for about 6months and then needs a rest period.
thanks for the info, I will buy gravel tomorrow.

86 ssinit

When buying gravel. But the smallest size. I like pieces that are about 1/8” big. The bigger the gravel the more gunk will get through it and build up underneath it. Since your just starting with plants stay away from the special plant substrates. They are more problem than productive to beginners.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
BVUBeavers
Replies
Views
Ohiotank
Replies
Views