Will These Plants Die? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Mathew Sanders, Apr 16, 2018.

1. M

Mathew Sanders New Member Member

I just got 3 Java fern 2 Mondo grass 1 red ludwigia and 1 Anubis under 6 led bubles with flourish water fertilizer and a sand substrate in a 10g is there anything else I need to keep these plants alive I really like how the tank looks with these plants but if I need something else please tell me IMG_20180415_204445.jpg 1523900946186.jpg 1523900967826.jpg

2. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

Looks fine to me just make sure the parameters are good for your fish

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Return the mondo grass - it is not aquatic, and it will die.

For the Anubias and Java fern, make sure they're not planted in the substrate. They can float or be tied to decor.

The Ludwigia will likely die with your lighting, so I'd save yourself some headache and just return it.

4. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

LED lighting that isn't specific for plants never grows plants very well. I've got the same hood on a 10gal and the only plants that survive are anubias and crypts wendtii bronze. They don't thrive, just survive.

Also, because the lighting so low the plants won't really be needing the fertilizer. Light is most often the limiting factor for plant growth. If there isn't much light the plants won't grow very fast, meaning they won't need as much nutrients. The fish poo and minerals in the water should be plenty for java fern and anubias.

Side note: mondo grass will indeed die when fully submerged. Been there, done that. The ludwigia will slowly die off and the shedding leaves will make a mess, been there too.

5. OP
    OP
    M

I don't have those planted I went ahead and pryed them between the glass and the rock hoping it will root on to the rock is that fine?

6. TexasDomer

Yes, as long as the rhizome is exposed to the water column and there isn't too much pressure on the rhizome.

7. OP
    OP
    M

Any other plants that have color like ludwigia that won't die I really like that coloring

8. TexasDomer

Likely not with your lighting. You can try Crypt wendtii bronze, like Demeter mentioned, but it may not do well. I'd use root tabs below the crypts though.

9. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

I've found ludwigia to be a fanatic low light plant, it has done well for me in previous setups. You will find that they will loose their reddish colouration, and be mostly green or light pink/bronze at the tips. If you want to leave it in to trial it and see how it fairs, I would do so. I'd just reccomend having a few strands floating, and some planted right underneath the light for maximum exposure!

10. OP
    OP
    M

Thanks everyone for all the help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice