Will These Interbreed?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by luckdown, Apr 11, 2018.

1. luckdown

luckdown Well Known Member Member

Guppy/endler hybrids and black bellied limias

I do not want to breed them together. I'm asking to see if it's okay to house them in the same tank or not.

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

It depends on the genus. if they are in the same genus, there is a possibility that they will breed. The genus is the first word in the latin name followed by the species name.

3. OP
    OP
    luckdown

That's the issue. Limias were in their own then got switched to the same as guppies then got switched back to their own

So I have no idea

4. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Googling around some places say they can others say they cant and still others say you get mules. Whos right i have no idea but it does sound possible to interbreed them.

5. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Genus is not actually relevant to genetic compatibility. However, the structure of the gonopodium is too different for them to be able to mate. Uncertain about the DNA compatibility, but it would have to be artificial insemination to find out. I am not aware of any instances where such a cross has been accomplished, but there aren't too many people who would keep these species together.

Personally, I would not keep them together. Limia melanogaster can be a bit rough for Guppy types.

6. OP
    OP
    luckdown

Ahh okay thanks. I thought they were peaceful?

7. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

"Aggressive" and "Peaceful" are usually relative terms in the aquarium.;)

8. OP
    OP
    luckdown

Ahh lol okay

Edit::

The limias just came in and man are they skittish!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice