Will These Fish Get Along??!

Hannah Curtin
So I have 1 shubunkin goldfish, 3 Giant Danios all in 33 gallon tank (they're all small still) and I just recently "rescued" a Flame Tetra. I have had him in a "hospital" tank for about a week and he looks healthy now. I was wondering if I bought 1 more flame tetra and put them in with the other fish if the Giant Danios would be aggressive toward the tetras?

Advertisement
bizaliz3
Tetras are schooling fish and should be in large groups. Not pairs.

Advertisement
Demeter
When schooling fish aren’t kept is a proper school they get nippy with each other and their tank mates. Plus I believe the danios and flame tetras have different temperature requirements than the goldfish. You should have at least 6 fish in a school, preferably more.

Problem is, with a goldfish that gets quite large and the too small tank size (for goldfish anyways) you might not want to add more fish just yet. Couple that with differing temp requirements I think you should rethink your stocking and set up. Either go tropical or coldwater, best not mix them.

Hannah Curtin
When schooling fish aren’t kept is a proper school they get nippy with each other and their tank mates. Plus I believe the danios and flame tetras have different temperature requirements than the goldfish. You should have at least 6 fish in a school, preferably more.

Problem is, with a goldfish that gets quite large and the too small tank size (for goldfish anyways) you might not want to add more fish just yet. Couple that with differing temp requirements I think you should rethink your stocking and set up. Either go tropical or coldwater, best not mix them.

The danios and goldfish do great together and all fish are pretty small so far I was planning on moving them up in tank size once they got big enough. I only have a 3 gallon hospital tank, no money to get another one I wasn't planning on the tetra, hes only about 3 quarters of an inch. But I really feel bad having him in that 3 gallon, so you don't think he will school with the danios or be able to survive in their tank?

Steve T
I have had a tetra school with Scissor tail rasboras before when I had him for a little bit. For long term they should have their own schools

Hannah Curtin
Main thing is I put two other danios in the tank with the one and theyre fairly happy now it seems. But I don't want to keep this tetra in this 3 gallon tank, my only resort is to put him in the bigger tank so I'm really just wondering if the danios will attack him? (Again all these fish are fairly small and its a 33 gallon tank, I plan to upgrade once they've outgrown the tank)

Also for some reason the danios love the goldfish he will swim right through their group multiple times and swim right next to them and they just swim away unbothered. They all seem fine right now. Again the these fish aren't very big yet.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
emerald6
Replies
Views
Lynn78too
Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views