Will These Fish Get Along

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Dutch2016, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Dutch2016

Dutch2016New MemberMember

I have a 55g tank. I was thing of starting with: 1 male 2 female swordtails, Glass fish (how many should I do), 1 angle and later 6 corydora. I'm looking for fish that will occupy all levels of the tank, upper, middle and lower and they get along. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Stryphe89

Stryphe89New MemberMember

Mmmm... hard to say with the swordtails and Angels. They are both top swimmers and I've heard that swordtails can be pretty nippy and males are sometimes aggressive when breeding. Some people have kept the two together without issues and others say that the swords have nipped their Angels to death. I suppose it's a bit of a hit and miss, but if it were me I wouldn't risk it.

Glass Fish are neat, but I believe they are brackish water fish(?).

Corydoras are fantastic, active, social fish, and stay near the bottom of the tank, besides the occasional dart to the surface, so they wont interfere with your Angel's or swordtails.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    Dutch2016

Any suggestions instead of the swordtails. I guess they don't have to be live bearers?

4. Stryphe89

Supposedly, platies and mollies are okay with Angels. I have no personal experience mixing them. Larger tetra are normally kept with them, and you can even keep cardinal tetra with them (but not neons, because they are small enough that the Angels, when full grown, will most likely devour them. Guppies, too).
    I've often seen them in tanks in lfs with bala sharks, dwarf gourami, danios, rasboras...
    You have a lot of options.

5. OP
    OP
    Dutch2016

I think swordtails look nice. The charts I have looked at say angels and swordtails usually get along. guess I can try it and see what happens. Danios are supposed to be ok with angels too, according to the charts. I was thinking about giant danios if I can find them.

6. Stryphe89

Swordtails are very nice fish. They were ones I have been considering for my own tank

Good luck! I hope they all get along. Maybe the horror stories were just rogue fishies!

7. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

The glass cats need to be in a school. I keep no less than 9 in a school. They also need a place with low light (plants) They have no defenses so must be kept with non aggressive fish.

8. OP
    OP
    Dutch2016

Thank you for the heads up on the glass cats. Stryphe89 said glass cats like brackish water. Think I'll pass if that's the case.