Will these fish get along?

1. k

kcanmllvr Valued Member Member

Hello! I've kept fish before (freshwater, 10 gallon, fish like mollies and guppies, goldfish) I know about the nitrogen cycle.

I now have a new tank. It is about 30 gallons and it's kind of a trapezoid shape. The filter it came with is for a 110 gallon tank. So I figure this will keep it pretty clean.

Anyway my main question is about stocking. These are the fish and the amounts I was thinking of getting. Would these numbers work for these fish and will they get along all together?? (((I know this question has been asked before but I couldn't find one with these specific fish and numbers)))

3 mollies
    10 tetras
    5 guppies
    2 cory cats
    1 ghost shrimp

I will also be planting some moneywort in the tank. I haven't decided on other plants yet.

thanks!!!

2. BellatheBetta

BellatheBetta Valued Member Member

Not totally sure on other fish but one problem you have is that you need cories in groups of 6+

3. Charles556

Charles556 Valued Member Member

Welcome to FishLore! What species of tetra are you planning on getting? That will determine how many you can get, or if those fish are even appropriate for you tank. For example, 10 neon tetras would be perfectly fine, but 10 congo tetras would not.

Also, you'll want to up your number of corys to at least 6, if not a little more. Otherwise, I think you're good.

4. OP
    OP
    k

Neon tetra is the type of tetra I want.

Also would the rest of the numbers still be alright with 6 cory cats?

and will that many cory cats cause issues for the ghost shrimp?

5. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Can you provide the dimensions?

6. OP
    OP
    k

7. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I'd say those fish should be ok but you'll need to up the cories to at least 6. Also what temperature are you planning on keeping the tank? Also, try to get all males for the guppies and molly's or they will have babies and overstock your tank. Also mollys and guppies can interbreed so there is another reason to keep only males. Also what kind of tetras are you planning on getting? Some nippy ones like serpaes would not mix well with guppies.

8. OP
    OP
    k

I'm planning on keeping it at 72 degrees F
    And yes I was planning on all males

also what if I were to get a pleco instead of cory cats. Do plecos need more plecos? would it get along with the other fish?

9. tyguy7760

ok do you know what type of tetras and cory's you'll be keeping? You'll want to make sure they can do the cooler waters you are planning.

You'll also want to keep an eye on the molly's. They may end up becoming bully's and may get a little scrunched in there at full grown.

10. OP
    OP
    k

So would you recommend not having any mollies in this fish group?
    Neon tetras and probably albino cory catfish.

Would all of the fish do alright with a higher temperature around 80?

11. OP
    OP
    k

UPDATE:
    6 Cory catfish
    10 neon tetra
    5 guppies
    1 ghost shrimp
    3 mollies

I now plan on 80 degrees F

tank is 32.7 gallons

would this work out? Or would the mollies need to be taken out

12. tyguy7760

All would be fine at 80 except the neons I believe. They like cooler temps. You could swap them out for cardinals which are a similar looking tetra

13. OP
    OP
    k

Ok thanks for all your help!!!