Will these fish be easy to maintain?

Gleo

Reaction score
Sorry I’ve changed some stuff since my last question. The tank I bought is approximately 75 gallons, 4+ft and pretty narrow. It’s a gorgeous custom tank. I want to set it up with dry rock, a few coral skeletons, and sand. It has a good sized sump, nice protein skimmer, reef lights, auto top off

Here’s what I’m thinking for fish! :)

2x “Nemo” Clowns with BTA.
(Can I have more than 2?)

1x Flame Angel

1x Kole Tang

?x something easy that fills the tank. Could I get a group of anthia or cardinals in this tank?

40x standard variety of hermits and snails (clean up crew). I love crabs so maybe a pair of them, and an urchin sounds cool too!

MAJOR CONCERN!
My main concern is maintenance time. I work crazy hours and this tank is to help lower stress in my new office (and because I love fish!) but I don’t need a second full time job caring for it. I have a freshwater tank now that I mainly use for aquascaping, but it’s got a few gobys. I love how easy it is to maintain. I don’t want to mix salt or scrub algae every week, and I don’t want to hand feed 10 picky eaters twice a day.

Are any of these fish super high maintenance? Are there sw fish that are as easy to care for as common fw fish? (I’ve successfully had Mollys, Bumblebee Gobys, Gouramis, RC Crabs, Fantails etc. with no crazy maintenance)

really appreciate all the help!

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Saltwater will be fairly time demanding. Fish Only would be a bit easier, but still plan on a weekly partial water change, filter sock/cup/floss change every few days, Weekly glass scrubbing and protein skimmer cup cleaning as well as weekly water tests.

I would skip the Tang and the Flame Angel. Tang and Flame Angel for potential aggression to smaller tank mates and Flame Angel for potential invert and coral nipping. Anthias are wonderful fish but super active and need at least 2x a day feeding.

Gleo

Reaction score
thanks a ton for the responses :D

I’m not afraid to do maintenance, I just need it to be reasonable... like 15-20 minutes a day during the week is okay (with more time on weekends)

I’ve seen people take like an hour to hand feed 15 different species a dozen different foods twice a day... I may hire a bi weekly maintenance guy to help me get started, but ya know I can’t hire someone for 2 hours every day, so as long as daily maintenance is reasonable I’ll be fine. I’m starting out small but if I get into an enjoyable routine and feel like I can add calcium and all that, I’d love to have coral.

If I don’t get the angel or tang, is there something else that would make a nice “center piece” fish for my tank? I’d like to be able to see something from 5 feet away lol.

also how many anthias and what kind would you recommend? They’re all very beautiful

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Anthias are wonderful fish but very active and require frequent feedings, I say this as someone who recently added a female lyretail anthias to his tank. For your tank a small school of dispar or ignatus might not be too bad as long as you can feed them 2x a day. As for the centerpiece fish for a 75 gallon there are a number of gorgeous wrasses out there that could fit that bill (ie Richmond's Wrasse, Exquisite Fairy Wrasse), most wrasses generally transition to male in captivity so no worry about the colors:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+2907&pcatid=2907

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Incidentally I have it's slightly smaller cousin the Melanurus Wrasse. Just to give you the idea of the amazing transformation these fish go through as they mature here it was when I first got it as a juvie just over 2 years ago:

Here it is now:

Gleo

Reaction score
Jesterrace said:
Incidentally I have it's slightly smaller cousin the Melanurus Wrasse. Just to give you the idea of the amazing transformation these fish go through as they mature here it was when I first got it as a juvie just over 2 years ago:

Here it is now:

Thanks a ton! That wrasse is beautiful. I really like the goby too. I’ll probably plan on getting a fairy wrasse and a few dispar anthias.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gleo said:
they look awesome. I’m excited to add one :)
It's my favorite of the fairy wrasses. When my Melanurus goes the way of all the earth I plan on adding one.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom