Will these 2 Flowerhorn breed?

Discussion in 'Flowerhorn Cichlid' started by Lamina, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Lamina

Lamina Valued Member Member

10292_499310456760773_1340432033_n.jpg
    i have a pair of flowerhorn separated..im sure its a male and a female..the female have black spot on the dorsal fin and its vent tube is like u shape..while the male have the kok and v shape vent tube..the male is 5 inch while the female is 4 inch..im still separating these 2..not going well when first met..will these pair breed?

2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

They look young yet. What size tank are you trying to keep them in? They get ever-loving GIGANTIC. Nasty, mean stinkers, too.

3. OP
    OP
    Lamina

oh yeah..forget to tell the tank size..its 75g..

edit:if they still young to breed..will they pair up?

4. Eienna

Yikes. That will never hold even one flowerhorn comfortably over the long-term, and certainly isn't suitable for trying to breed them. Honey, you REALLY need to start researching your fish better before purchasing them.

5. OP
    OP
    Lamina

i will release them to my fish pond as they grow up..dont worry :D..they still 5 inch now..

6. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

are you sure.... i thought a 75g would be ok for one.

i wouldnt do that if there are other fish in there, they will eat them...

7. l

luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

A 75 gallon could hold one but defiantly: not.two

8. OP
    OP
    Lamina

in my fish pond theres 6 iridescent shark and 1 african cat fish..no small fishy..my pond is big..there still enough space to put big fish.. :D

so i will make my question clear..my question is..will these 2 Flowerhorn breed and this age?male 5 inch female 4 inch..will they breed in 75g?talk about the present..

9. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

A single Flowerhorn can live its entire life a 55. 75 is fine.

They should be big enough to breed now. Start conditioning them for breeding by feeding them lots of live foods. It can be a little tricky some times because of aggression but really, they aren't that hard to breed. Keeping them in the same tank with a divider is a good start.

How is your tank setup?

Here's some links you might find helpful.  

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/flowerhorn2.php

10. OP
    OP
    Lamina

my tank is using bio filter 500 ltr/hr with sand filter..temp 30..

11. C

You've got a good start. I'd start conditioning them. Those link I posted above had some helpful breeding tips.

12. OP
    OP
    Lamina

will be done :)

13. Eienna

I said that because I've seen an adult and it was huge - like, grab-your-fishing-pole-we've-got-a-monster huge. And it wanted very much to eat me. The store owner said he can't put anything in with it, either.

14. OP
    OP
    Lamina

when will my pair ready to breed?just then i let them together..for the first 10 minutes,they were doing fine..the male just stare at the female and swims away..the male starts showing off then chasing the female 10 minutes after..am i doing the correct step?

15. C

Sounds about right. Chasing, lip locking, nipping is all normal. Keep up on the high protein food. Live food like worms would also be good. Make sure you keep a close eye on them. If they start to get real mean, trying to kill each other, you need to be ready to separate them.

16. OP
    OP
    Lamina

now im separating them..the female tail fin have a bit torn a part..just purchased hikari cichlid gold..gonna start feed them with these..i also bought black water..is it good for them?

17. C

They shouldn't need black water extract. Won't hurt them though. Make sure to add it slowly over time and build up, so that you don't cause a pH swing. You'll also need to slowly ween off if you want to stop using it.

18. OP
    OP
    Lamina

well i guess im not gonna use black water to my flowerhorn..just add medecine to the tank to prevent the female get infection..her tail torn apart..now separating them again..

19. C

I'd wait at least a couple weeks before trying again. Giver her time to heal. Can you get Chingmix over there? It's made in Thailand, pretty good flowerhorn food.

It can be a tricky process getting them to not kill each other. Good Luck!

20. OP
    OP
    Lamina

ive already tried to find that food..but my LFS dindt sell those..prety sad..my aquarium water turns green when i used the medicine..haha..but the flowerhorn are fine..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice