Will The Floor Buckle?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Sakana魚, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Sakana魚

Sakana魚 Well Known Member Member

I have two entertainment stands stacked on top of each other that are full of books. I was thinking about setting up my 20 long on top of them but I am worried about the floor being able to support all of that.

Should I store my 20 and downgrade to a 10?

2. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

20 gallons are about 180-ish pounds fully filled with gravel. I'd be more concerned about the entertainment center breaking than the floor. If your floor cannot handle that, then it couldn't handle a sofa or armoire either.

3. OP
    OP
    Sakana魚

The entertainment stands are half metal so I think they would be ok? I forgot to mention its gonna be on the second floor

4. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

If you're gonna get a tank, get a 20. You have so many more options with a 20 gal. I would be worried about the floor with them being on the second floor. That may be just me though. If I were in your position I would move one of the entertainment stands or some of the book and get the 20 gal.

5. B

What's their weight rating?

6. OP
    OP
    Sakana魚

Actually... I have no idea. I didn't buy them my mother did when I was younger. If I bought a stand do you think the tank would be fine of the second floor?

7. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

I think it'd be fine on a stand on the second floor. Just try and distribute weight around the room and put it against a load bearing wall.

8. B

Yes. This tank weighs less than a standard sofa. Unless your house is super old (like falling apart old) nothing should happen. I have a bed, a dresser, 2 twenty gallons, a 10 gallon, a 5 gallon, a 4 gallon, and a big turtle tank in my room. Nothing has fallen through the ceiling.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice