Will The Floor Buckle?

1. Sakana魚

Sakana魚 Well Known Member Member

I have two entertainment stands stacked on top of each other that are full of books. I was thinking about setting up my 20 long on top of them but I am worried about the floor being able to support all of that.

Should I store my 20 and downgrade to a 10?

2. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

20 gallons are about 180-ish pounds fully filled with gravel. I'd be more concerned about the entertainment center breaking than the floor. If your floor cannot handle that, then it couldn't handle a sofa or armoire either.

3. OP
    OP
    Sakana魚

The entertainment stands are half metal so I think they would be ok? I forgot to mention its gonna be on the second floor

4. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

If you're gonna get a tank, get a 20. You have so many more options with a 20 gal. I would be worried about the floor with them being on the second floor. That may be just me though. If I were in your position I would move one of the entertainment stands or some of the book and get the 20 gal.

5. B

What's their weight rating?

6. OP
    OP
    Sakana魚

Actually... I have no idea. I didn't buy them my mother did when I was younger. If I bought a stand do you think the tank would be fine of the second floor?

7. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

I think it'd be fine on a stand on the second floor. Just try and distribute weight around the room and put it against a load bearing wall.

8. B

Yes. This tank weighs less than a standard sofa. Unless your house is super old (like falling apart old) nothing should happen. I have a bed, a dresser, 2 twenty gallons, a 10 gallon, a 5 gallon, a 4 gallon, and a big turtle tank in my room. Nothing has fallen through the ceiling.