Will the coloring of the fry be the same as the parents? Question 

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
In my move I just did, I found 2 little fry hiding around the plants. Now that they are bigger, they are a bright orange with full black fins and a black mouth. So far, I see no signs of any sort of speckling.
I'm trying to figure out if the male in my tank is the father or not. The mother is a black/white/orange calico with orange fins and a black body, the male is an orange sunburst platy with orange fins and a black body as well.
Considering they both have orange fins and speckled coloration, and the babies have black fins and no speckles at all, I'm wondering if they are taking after the "baby daddy" that originally got her pregnant (in the petstore) and not the male in my tank she is paired with now.
Can fish have very different coloration from the parents, or do they generally produce offspring with the same sort of coloration as themselves?

FishHobbiest

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I dont have much experience with breeding those type of fish, but my krib fry im raising vary a little between each one.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
if its a store bought fish, and not one that you or some one you know bred, the fry wont look like any of your males for few drops. soon tho, you'll have a ''baby daddy'' that you own XD

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
When I had guppies (before they all died on me ), The fry grew up and some had colouring like their mummy, but as I did not know who the daddy was, I couldn't say if they were his colour, but they were all different really!

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
See, thats what I am wondering, because the two fry that look nothing like the mom or dad, I am sure they came from another father at the fish store.
Yet, the two other fry that are a good two weeks younger are already developing spotting patterns like the dad I have in the tank. I am just wondering about lineage because I don't really want any inbreeding going on in my tank....

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It depends on how long the strain has been bred "pure." If it was mixed with other colors in the past couple of generations, there are likely to be a few odd fry in the mix. Among the serious guppy breeders, there are people who are blacklisted for selling "pure" Moscow guppies that have thrown fry of different colors. I think it usually takes around three generations of breeding only like colors to maintain a color strain.

However, it is possible for a mom and a dad of the same color to produce only fry of the same color, even if they're both from a mixed-breeding. It's just not likely.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads