Will Synthetic gravel contaminate water quality and affect Flowerhorn Help

1. kpkant123 Initiate Member

Hi there
    I have 2’’ Short-Body Flowerhorn in 40 gallon tank. Recently I have bought synthetic colored gravel to décor my fish tank. Unfortunately color of the gravel is fading. And also small particles of the colors are floating. Could you tell me it will cause any problem to my baby flowerhorn. So far My Baby FH is very active and eating normally. Please give me your suggestion. I’m so worried of it.
    Thanks in advance
    Push

Attached Files:

2. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Yikes!!! I've never heard of that!! Was the gravel from a Fish Store and marked as aquarium safe? If so it just could be a bad batch, and is probably harmless to your fish.
    Or since it is new, did you soak it and rinse it well before adding to the tank....might possibly be small bubbles keeping the tiny pieces floating around, but I've heard of the gravel fading in color?

3. kpkant123 Initiate Member

Thanks mate for your quick reply. the sales person told me it is an aquarium safe but i'm worried my FH might eat those color particles and cause him indigestion problem. Please help me out

4. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

The only other help I can suggest, for your comfort level, would be to take the fish out temporarily and remove all that substrate. You could syphon it all out thru a wad of filter floss and return the water back to the tank. Have enough floss to catch all the particles....try using your net to pick up the pieces?

If the pieces are just floating on the top...skim them off into a shallow bowl....sounds like just bubbles on or in them.

5. kpkant123 Initiate Member

eureka!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Mate

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi, welcome to Fishlore. That is one beautiful fish!