Will stones affect PH

CJLand

My waters parameters :
PH: 8-8.2
dGH: 6 (107 ppm)
dKH: in between 4-5 (71-89 ppm)

I’ve been trying to plan an upcoming aquascape, and a lot of the stone that I would like to use is not inert. In the past I’ve always used stone i knew was inert, because i don’t want anything raising my PH any higher than it already is. But then I got thinking about it and researched a bit. I really like elephant skin stone, but I know it isn’t inert. Its mostly just calcium and magnesium carbonate, it’ll raise PH, GH, and KH. I read something saying, if you have a high Ph and hard water, anything the stone released won’t be soluble since everything is already high. The analogy I saw was, “It’s like adding black ink to black paint, it won’t make much of a difference.” And that kind of makes sense to me, because KH is basically buffering capacity. So a high KH wouldn’t let the PH change. But in my case, my PH is high but my water is soft. So with a low KH, there’s more of a chance of fluctuations in PH. On the contrary, if the stone raised the KH, then it would have lesser affect on PH because it would have more buffering capacity. Also, if water changes are done often, then the effects are minimal right? It’s kind of confusing to me. I really don’t want my PH any higher, but I don’t mind if GH and KH went up a little. I also like seiryu stone but it’s kind of the same situation. It’s a little confusing and I appreciate any help! And please feel free to correct me if I got something wrong I like to learn haha

mattgirl

Any time I find myself in a situation like this I run an experiment. In this case I would put the stone in a decent sized container of water. I would run an air stone in the container to kinda mimic the water movement I would see in the tank. Run the tests as soon as the experiment is set up and then daily for a few days. This should tell me what is going to happen If i put that stone in my tank.

jtjgg

do you have other aquariums already? are their pH and KH stable? the nitrogen cycle creates hydrogen ions.

pH is the hydrogen ions in the water. the higher the pH the lower the hydrogen ions = less acidic.

since your pH is high already, the stone shouldn't release too much carbonate.

CJLand

Any time I find myself in a situation like this I run an experiment. In this case I would put the stone in a decent sized container of water. I would run an air stone in the container to kinda mimic the water movement I would see in the tank. Run the tests as soon as the experiment is set up and then daily for a few days. This should tell me what is going to happen If i put that stone in my tank.
Yeah I figured I was gonna have to try it out in a smaller scale haha. I never bought any of the stones yet, but I can just buy a very small amount for testing. I have a spare 20 gallon in my quarantine rack I could probably do the test with. Thanks!
do you have other aquariums already? are their pH and KH stable? the nitrogen cycle creates hydrogen ions.

pH is the hydrogen ions in the water. the higher the pH the lower the hydrogen ions = less acidic.

since your pH is high already, the stone shouldn't release too much carbonate.
Yeah I have a few aquariums at the moment, 2 “Main” tanks and 3 quarantine/hospital tanks. Everything cycled and established. All water parameters stable. I’ll just test a bit beforehand just for science sake haha

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
richiep
  • beagle
  • pH
Replies
Views
jtjgg