Will smell of tank / noise of pump keep me awake?

uscgvet

(I got lots of advice a while back about the goopy smell, but just wanted to throw it in there again.) My friend who had tanks in the past says a) the smell will drive me out of my bedroom and b) the sound of the air filter will keep me awake at night. Could folks comment? I believe we have the smell issue resolved, as in, folks told me that a properly-kept tank won't smell. But I've never had fish so no clue about the noise. Anyone here have a tank in their bedroom? (we plan on 60 gallon) Thanks all!

MacZ

Smell: A well maintained tank should not smell bad or at all.
Noise: Completely dependent on the type of setup and filtration.

Your friend has to step up his game in tank maintenance and should consider another type of filter instead of telling you something like this.

SparkyJones

I sleep with a light and the TV on and no problem and never had a problem with the fish tank bothering me, but everybody is different. I can sleep regardless of conditions very easily. Others have a hard time falling asleep with ideal conditions.

Smell is a non-issue a cat or dog is much worse than fish by a lot, most animals are.

ChrissFishes01

I kept tanks in my bedroom for years - I still have a Musk Turtle tank in my bedroom.

As others have said, well-maintained tanks don't smell badly at all. The only time I've ever noticed smells from my tanks have been when something is off with them (cycling, for example) or if I've dropped a bit of food on the rim of the tank and not noticed. My fishroom does have a slightly sweet smell to it, and I've been told that to other people it smells a little fishy, but not bad. I've never noticed, but I've been around fish tanks daily for 15 years.

Thunder_o_b

Along with the canisters I have waterfall HOB filters on all our aquariums. The first floor has the ever present sound of falling water. Very peaceful actually.

With many live plants and good maintenance we have no smell at all.

FishDin

It depends on you not the tank. Do you like the sound of pumps or spashing water when you try to sleep?? Everyone is different. I like it dead silent when I sleep, so I don't keep tanks in my bedroom. Certainly some brands of equipment are more quiet than others, but none silent as far as I know.

The smell, as said, is not part of a tank that is being maintained properly.

KingOscar

Personally, I wouldn't want an air pump on my bedroom tank because they all make noise. But my basement fish room has plenty of them and I can easily fall asleep in my giant bean bag chair, so go figure. :)

RayClem

As has already been mentioned, an aquarium should smell earthy, but not bad. If odors develop, you can use activated carbon in the filter to absorb them. In a planted tank, carbon should not be needed under normal circumstances.

As for noise, everyone reacts differently. Some people need silence in order to sleep and use ear plugs when sleeping. Other like some constant background noise to block out intermittent sounds. Many people purchase sound machines to play sounds while they sleep. I personally find the hum of an air pump and the bubbling of a filter to be relaxing.

uscgvet

Thanks all so much!

Blacksheep1

See this is all conjective to me . I love to sleep in complete dark and silence , but the sound of running water soothes me. My partner likes tv noise and light but cannot cope with an air pump or filter sound.
As for smell , I’ve never had a tank that had an unpleasant smell unless a snail died . Mostly it smells like wet earth and nature in a rain fall. Some tanks have a herbal smell dependant on the plants in them. Personally , I’d love a tank in my bedroom over a tv. Seen as though I have 5 tanks in the house and one in the garden , I respect his decision on the bedroom tank ( although the minute he moves out it’s fair game ;) )

jaysurf7

An aquarium shouldn't have an off smell it should have a like earthy, freshwater kind of smell if that makes sense lol as far as the noise some tanks may make more noise than others it depends with pump, filter is used. I would suggest turning off the air pump when you sleep as most fish like to sleep in still water when they sleep from what I've noticed. I think the sound of the running water is very soothing and relaxing like a lake or stream. I remember when there was a power outage i couldn't wait for the tank to go back on lol it was way to quite for me.

StarGirl

I would say a HOB or Canister would be your best bet for noise. Keep the water high for less waterfall noise. ANY air pump will be loud in your bedroom I think.

KeepKeepingAquatics

(I got lots of advice a while back about the goopy smell, but just wanted to throw it in there again.) My friend who had tanks in the past says a) the smell will drive me out of my bedroom and b) the sound of the air filter will keep me awake at night. Could folks comment? I believe we have the smell issue resolved, as in, folks told me that a properly-kept tank won't smell. But I've never had fish so no clue about the noise. Anyone here have a tank in their bedroom? (we plan on 60 gallon) Thanks all!
I have had three tanks running in my bedroom, going from a silent to kind of loud (airpump and hang on the back filters haha) for a while, and I can say about the first week I had some issues falling asleep (but that was also when I wasn't diagnosed for my anxiety so that could have been a factor.) Never noticed a bad smell and now I fall asleep pretty fast, the tanks are basically a better form of white noise haha.

briangcc1997

My wife has slept with all (6) tanks running HOB's individual air pumps. She now says its odd when she doesn't hear them and needs the white noise to put her to sleep.

As others have said....if the tank smells you need to up your maintenance schedule.Or as I am constantly telling my kids....feed the fish, not the tank itself - they have food on the underside of the glass lid, in the trim, on the stand, on the floor.... Should see my fish food bill.

BettaBeThere

I have had 4 aquariums in the bedroom before now.....when the old multiple tank syndrome was flourishing....never heard them. All 4 had external filters initially and changed to internal later (I hate externals) and they were nice and quiet

Certainly didn't have any smells from them, as has already been said, a proper maintenance regime is a must for all aquariums regardless where they are in the home/office.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kathylee
Replies
Views
gilpi
Replies
Views
ROFEA
Replies
Views