Will Skunk Cories Mingle With Pandas?

cl1015

Hi, I’ve been on the lookout for more pandas because I am now down to one in my fish tank (besides the green cories and shrimp) and it’s starting to look very depressed. None of the fish stores in my area are selling pandas (at least not ones that look healthy, when I went to Petco), and although one of the stores I like to get my fish from is getting new shipment tomorrow, there’s no guarantee they will have pandas for me. There’s a store an hour away that has skunk cories, and I thought they look at least a little similar. It’s not perfect and I still want to get more pandas while I still have days off work, but if I bought maybe 4-6 skunks, would it make my panda perk up?

ValerieAdams

I don't think so but I'm not completely sure. Maybe Sarah73 would know? Or Coradee

Coradee

Hi, the panda may stay close for security as it has no others of its own kind but it won’t feel part of the ‘family’ so to speak.
There’s also the risk of cross breeding, pandas are notorious for that especially when kept in insufficient numbers.
I’d suggest, if you can, ask if the Lfs would take the panda & you get a group of the skunks instead.

IHaveADogToo

Different types of cories shouldn't be mixed. Not only do they not shoal with each other, but they usually have different requirements for pH and temperature.

cl1015

Different types of cories shouldn't be mixed. Not only do they not shoal with each other, but they usually have different requirements for pH and temperature.
I’m aware of that now, sadly I wasn’t as educated when I first bought cories but I’ve been having to keep to the same two species so that the ones left over don’t feel so alone (that and I’ve never been a fan of returning fish because I fear they won’t be treated as well in a LFS). I’m doing some reading though and apparently skunk cories do better in the pH that my water is typically at, so I may just bring my panda to the store I saw a group at and start over.

Sarah73

What you should do is just buy some panda cories. They feel the safest with their own kind rather than another kind. Maybe ask your store to get some for you. Or go buy online. The longer you wait the more depressed your Cory is going to get.

cl1015

What you should do is just buy some panda cories. They feel the safest with their own kind rather than another kind. Maybe ask your store to get some for you. Or go buy online. The longer you wait the more depressed your Cory is going to get.
I’m aware! I’ve been meaning to get more but my job is summer-centered and I rarely get days off, and the days I do have off don’t match up with restock days for my LFS. I’m trying to find alternatives specifically bc I’ve been having no luck finding panda cories, and I don’t want to wait too much longer now that I have enough time in the day to buy some fish and set things up for them. Please believe me when I say I only want what’s best for the little guy.

I actually did find a store that sells pandas (funny that I thought they only sold saltwater so I held off calling them) and I’ll be going to check them out within the hour!

Sarah73

I actually did find a store that sells pandas (funny that I thought they only sold saltwater so I held off calling them) and I’ll be going to check them out within the hour!
Do it!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sarah73
Replies
Views
Anders247
Replies
Views
Motherlovebetta
Replies