Will Siamese algea eater ignore inverts?

skar

Hi.
I'm considering getting a "true" siamese algea eater.

I know there is debate on this but...
I have several different types of fish and inverts mixed in this tank.
Including pom pom crab and cherry shrimp.

My concern is this fish gets to about 6 inches which would be the largest fish I've even considered before. Would it mostly ignore the inverts ?

I need help with BBA and this is a 75 gallon tank. Thank you for your opinions.

20210513_154630.jpg

Flyfisha

Hi star.
The Siamese algae eater is a great fish that will eat algae. However as well as growing big they definitely from my experience need to be in a group. Even a group of 3 seems to be ok? They grow fast but you have plenty of room in a 75 gallon.

They do not eat my cherry shrimp. Or endler fry.
Sorry I have no hands on with Pom Pom crabs.
On it’s own it’s a nuisance to other similar shaped fish as it tries to school/ play. Get a small group.

Upvote 0

skar

Hi star.
The Siamese algae eater is a great fish that will eat algae. However as well as growing big they definitely from my experience need to be in a group. Even a group of 3 seems to be ok? They grow fast but you have plenty of room in a 75 gallon.

They do not eat my cherry shrimp. Or endler fry.
Sorry I have no hands on with Pom Pom crabs.
On it’s own it’s a nuisance to other similar shaped fish as it tries to school/ play. Get a small group.

So in your experience 3 will suffice?
Have you kept one solo and noticed this annoyance behavior ?

Thank you

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Hi.
I'm considering getting a "true" siamese algea eater.

I know there is debate on this but...
I have several different types of fish and inverts mixed in this tank.
Including pom pom crab and cherry shrimp.

My concern is this fish gets to about 6 inches which would be the largest fish I've even considered before. Would it mostly ignore the inverts ?

I need help with BBA and this is a 75 gallon tank. Thank you for your opinions.

20210513_154630.jpg
I have one. I ordered 3, received 4. Two were DOA and one other wasn't very healthy. sadly it didn't make it. The 4th one though is thriving. He grew quickly to about 4 inches and seems to have stopped at that size. He has done a very good job on my BBA. It would probably be better if you can manage to get 2 or 3 of them for your 75 gallon tank since that is what was recommended by the seller but I have to wonder if that was just to sell more fish. :( Three would clear out the BBA quicker. In my humble opinion one would work out alright. "Sam", my one SAE doesn't bother anyone.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Yes 3 seems to be ok. I have a number of tanks with 3 and 4 . One group of 3 adults currently has 3 tiny newcomers ( quarantining ) without a problem.

A sad story. Years ago I had a single Siamese . It developed a circular swimming loop similar to a polar bear in the zoo. It swam a circuit continuously with the only break to flick on an ornament every 8 or so laps in the circuit.
As a group they interact. I have seen the spawning dance but there is little chance of offspring so no need to worry.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Yes 3 seems to be ok. I have a number of tanks with 3 and 4 . One group of 3 adults currently has 3 tiny newcomers ( quarantining ) without a problem.

A sad story. Years ago I had a single Siamese . It developed a circular swimming loop similar to a polar bear in the zoo. It swam a circuit continuously with the only break to flick on an ornament every 8 or so laps in the circuit.
As a group they interact. I have seen the spawning dance but there is little chance of offspring so no need to worry.
Thank you for sharing this. I will try to get some friends for Sam. I can't find them locally and don't really want to order from the same seller since 3 of the 4 I received didn't make it. AquaHuna normally has them but you have to order 8. I don't have room for that many.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

I have kept SAEs in groups and singly. The few I've had alone (other non SAE fish were in the tanks) seemed perfectly happy to me.

I've never kept them with cherry shrimp or pom pom crabs.

As an alternative to SAEs as BBA eaters, I've read/heard of horned nerites eating it. (But, I've not yet tried them myself.)

Upvote 0

Linda1234

As an alternative to SAE there is a close cousin that will actually eat BBA as an adult known as crossocheilus langei - this fish is nearly identical to the more common crossocheilus oblongus. Btw I have one SAE in my 100 gallon tank and i would not add a second. Either way most people keep them solo and they do just fine. They are not only a largish fish but they can be quite swift and a 75 is pretty small.

Upvote 0

skar

As an alternative to SAE there is a close cousin that will actually eat BBA as an adult known as crossocheilus langei - this fish is nearly identical to the more common crossocheilus oblongus. Btw I have one SAE in my 100 gallon tank and i would not add a second. Either way most people keep them solo and they do just fine. They are not only a largish fish but they can be quite swift and a 75 is pretty small.

I will look for sp. langei, I appreciate your suggestion.

Mudminnow I have a horned nerite and they have not touched the BBA.
The snack on spot algea yet this BBA is not to their liking.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

Mudminnow I have a horned nerite and they have not touched the BBA.
The snack on spot algea yet this BBA is not to their liking.
Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

I grew a SAE out to 4 inches in my 20 high... I only started having problems when it got to that size. A 75 gallon tank is perfect for that fish... you could have 3 if your bioload supports it. Some members say 75 is the minimum but I would be comfortable keeping a single specimen in a 40B. The one I had in my 20 grew from a fry to 4 inches in roughly six months so that should speak volumes. Of course I would never attempt it again though :D

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I have heard the only thing that actually eat it are SAE and Flag fish. I have 2 in my 55g and they chase each other once in awhile but dont ever chase the tetras or bother the Amanos. Them and the pleco will push back and forth for a veggie or wafer thou. ;) I have not seen a hair of BBA since they have been in there. Over a year now.

Upvote 0

skar

I bought one !
Small lil one maybe an inch, hope it does bba damage.
I believe it's langei if the markings I read about are correct.
20210603_133239.jpg
20210603_133027.jpg

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
guppylord
Replies
Views